Planning my next project - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,399
Planning my next project

Slowly working the details out on my new project. for those who didn't see the starter thread going to be building a large all glass tank.

Few changes from the original plan, the dimensions will be 48x30x18 vs 48x24x18... When and if the wife asks... The glass place made a mistake (that or I will blame dogfish!)

It will have some sort of euro bracing.

My question currently is, for a large all glass design, would it be better to build it with the bottom pane enclosed with the side glass or rest the vertical pieces on top of the bottom pane? is there advantages to one over the other?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 869
I've had tanks built both ways (albeit, not that large!). If it were me doing it, I'd want it on top, so I could keep a regular eye on the bottom seal and make sure it was all holding. Also, easier to get the pieces of glass flush and square, I think anyway.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooky125 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 107
Sounds great! Can't wait to follow this build. I think I would feel better with the sides on top of the bottom so I could see the seam, like Pooky said.

And remember, it is easier to get forgiveness than permission haha.
Only One Haze is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky125 View Post
I've had tanks built both ways (albeit, not that large!). If it were me doing it, I'd want it on top, so I could keep a regular eye on the bottom seal and make sure it was all holding. Also, easier to get the pieces of glass flush and square, I think anyway.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Only One Haze View Post
Sounds great! Can't wait to follow this build. I think I would feel better with the sides on top of the bottom so I could see the seam, like Pooky said.

And remember, it is easier to get forgiveness than permission haha.
after thinking about it, I agree with you both 100% my thought just a little while ago was moving it around... You want the glass supporting the side pieces not the silicone holding the sides up should you have to move it!

I am anxious to start but due to limited income this is going to be a very slow build... like ordering one sheet of glass at a time

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
I am anxious to start but due to limited income this is going to be a very slow build... like ordering one sheet of glass at a time
I hear ya there man! Shoot, I'm having to piece together a freaking Cerges reactor. Barb fitting here, connector there...Sucks!
Only One Haze is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only One Haze View Post
I hear ya there man! Shoot, I'm having to piece together a freaking Cerges reactor. Barb fitting here, connector there...Sucks!
Yea the other sad part I know I am saving money... But still looking at 700+ in glass! granted its starphire and going 3/8" for safety reasons... But lord it has to be cheaper than 28.44 a sq ft... That is cut and delivered right down the road... Sigh..



Correction! Glasscages has a drop point thats only an hour from me! I can get the entire tank (even bottom) with 1/2" starphire for under 500... 3/8 under 400... I just became really happy again!


Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
....Few changes from the original plan, the dimensions will be 48x30x18 vs 48x24x18... When and if the wife asks... The glass place made a mistake (that or I will blame dogfish!)
....



I'm cool with takin' the fall for the bigger foot print tank. After all, I blamed the Aquaponic system I'm building on you. BTW my Wifey has a frying pan with your name on it, if you ever get up this way.

DogFish is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Correction! Glasscages has a drop point thats only an hour from me! I can get the entire tank (even bottom) with 1/2" starphire for under 500... 3/8 under 400... I just became really happy again!
That is awesome!
Only One Haze is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post


I'm cool with takin' the fall for the bigger foot print tank. After all, I blamed the Aquaponic system I'm building on you. BTW my Wifey has a frying pan with your name on it, if you ever get up this way.

well so much for planning that visit haha... Thats to funny tell her I will bring home made wine!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome