When should I see a change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
When should I see a change?

I am being really impatient here! Haha!

I have a problem with BBA.

I have a 66 gallon tank. My light is 2 54 watt T5HO bulbs with a medium good reflector. It is raised 6 inches off my tank and probably 8 inches off the top of the water. It is on for 6 hours total a day - two 3 hour periods.

Yesterday when I did a water change I added DIY CO2 and I also put window screen on the top of the glass on top of my tank to reduce the light some. How long do you think it will take for the BBA to die?? (see, I told you I am impatient!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
On a tank that large you'll have a tough time keeping CO2 levels very high with DIY. You'll probably need a few bottles of DIY CO2 going at the same time.

Also, make sure you are fertilizing the tank with the amount of light you have.

It'll take a few weeks adjusting each different aspect (light, CO2, ferts) until you get it all balanced. Once you do you'll notice that the BBA is holding steady or slightly decreasing. At that time I would recommend spot treating with either Excel or hydrogen peroxide. BBA is stubborn and doesn't like to go away in even the best managed tank once it's gotten a foothold.

Keep at it though and you'll be rewarded with almost no algae and very healthy plants and fish. There's nothing you can do to rush the process unfortunately, just spot treat and find your tanks balance.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you.

Right now I have only one bottle, but I will be adding at least one more when I get a chance to get out to the grocery store to get more sugar and yeast. I wasn't planning ahead when I started this. Haha!

I am using Flourish for my fertilizer. I am using the recommended amount once a week. I also have fertilizer under my sand. I don't know if that is enough with this light yet as I just reduced the light. Hopefully within a few weeks I will start to notice a difference.

I really hope this works! I really hate that ugly black mess in there!!

Last edited by mindy; 09-10-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: to add info

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Algae Grower

54W? Wow. I thought T5HO tubes were 24W max.......no?

Anyway..... Put some PhosGuard or some other brand of phosphate removal media in your filter. Phosphate feeds algae and removing it will starve it out. May not stop it all but it sure has helped my tank.

Fluval Osaka 155
Fluval 306 Cannister - GLS Primo CO2 In-Line Injection - Kessil A150W Pendant LED
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Once BBA gets going you likely must mechanically remove it or kill it so the scavengers in the tank can eat it. If you are confident conditions are now terrible for BBA then you could squirt H2O2 on the BBA when pump is off, let sit and turn the pump back on in 10-20 minutes. Use 1-2 ml per gallon.

If I get rid of phosphate my plants don't grow well and I get algae because my plants don't grow well. Been there, done that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Do not bother about the phosphate. That idea is old.
Get as much CO2 going as you can, and as steady a supply as you can. If you want to use DIY then I would put 3 bottles on the tank, and swap them out one a week.

Treat the BBA with H2O2 even while you are getting conditions under control. Seeing t turn pink is a good sign, and happens pretty fast.

Maybe need to double the fertilizer. The liquid ferts are pretty diluted. By dosing several times through the week the conditions are more stable than just once a week dosing.

Are you using all the Flourish line? N, P, K, Comprehensive (trace)? If your livestock and plants are OK with Excel then I would also add that, as well as using the DIY CO2.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the suggestions.

I definitely won't take the phosphate out. Isn't that one of the things you put in when you do EI dosing?

I am just using Comprehensive right now. I wanted to do EI dosing but it is really difficult for me to get. I can order it from a place in BC but the shipping is crazy. Maybe I will look into getting the individual ferts through Seachem.

Thanks for the suggestion to double the fertilizers. I will dose once after my water change and once 1/2 way through the week.

Do you think I should dose the Excel at the full dose on top of the DIY CO2?

I am only doing DIY because I can't seem to find a place to get a tank filled within 600 km of me! I am trying to get a chance to call a place about 220 km away but haven't gotten time yet.

I will set up more bottles of yeast and sugar water soon. We are battening down the hatches right now since Leslie is going to hit sometime tomorrow morning. I still haven't gotten to the grocery store. In our teeny town the grocery stores aren't open on Sundays... :S

I will try the spot treating with H2O2, too.

I am starting to feel like I should just scrap everything in this tank (minus my cories! I love my little albino cories ) and just start all over. It makes me sad because I have had my swords and crypts for almost 2 years now. They have moved house and also moved from tank to tank through 3 upgrades. The swords are doing pretty good, only a leaf or 2 with BBA on it, but my poor crypts are pretty covered. Maybe I will take them out and wash them off and treat them with H2O2 and redo the whole tank and see how it goes. Now I just have to find a suitable substrate...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Keep safe!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
BBA wont go away on its own. You might get it to stop growing, but whats already there will stay there.

Be careful with all those chemicals. Don't do too much at the same time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Keep safe!
Thanks We seem to be at the perfect place in the island, not the crazy wind from the east coast and not the flooding from the west coast. It is pretty windy out there right now and we still have a rainfall warning but we are doing ok so far.

I don't plan to use a whole lot of chemicals all at once. I have a bunch of things to order online before I even have them! Haha! I will try the H2O2 and keep the DIY CO2 going and probably then order the complete line of ferts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode