Having a tough time figuring my plants out. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Having a tough time figuring my plants out.

Hi every one, this is my first post here, however I've been reading some of the other conversations for months now. This is a very useful forum. Just to try to clue evry one in on my set up and try to give as much info as possible...., it's a 20 gallon tall (starter kit from pet smart) kept very clean, with 6 fish living in it currently; 3 red minors and 3 clown loaches. The plant line up consists of 2 anubias, 3 brazillian spears, aponogenton and water wisteria.

-I'm care full not to over feed
-I keep the tank nice and clean
-I recently had the water tested, and the only thing my lfs lady found was a slightly high alkali and she said not to worry.
-I changed from the led lighting to a fluorescent bulb from a smaller tank for now, I plant to buy a grow bulb for it. (18" t5 (?) unknown wattage but a heck of allot brighter than what came with it..
-said light is on every day from 3pm to 8pm (the loaches get cranky if I leave it on longer..lol
Now the 'problem': The "slow" growers are out growing the "fast" ones!

HUH?

They all seem to be healthy plants, and I hope the wisteria takes off to give the loaches a nice hiding spot but it's just...sitting there (4 weeks).

One would think if the aggressive grower isn't doing any thing the slow one shouldn't either rite? This leads me to suspect the lighting...but I'm not sure. what gives?

If there are any details I left out please let me know. Planted tanks seem to have allot more of a learning curve than non planted.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
If you are keeping the tank really clean then it is likely you are removing a lot of the nutrients plants need to grow. That fish poop provides nitrogen and phosphorus which are essential plant nutrients. With the dim light you may only need to provide more potassium and the minor nutrients like iron. Are the older leaves of the wisteria getting small holes in them? If so get a bottle of the sort of plant food all the fish stores have that has potassium and iron.

Provide a few dark places for those cranky loaches and leave the lights on longer - try at least 8 hours a day. Maybe lean a couple flat rocks or broken tiles against one another or put in a couple short pieces of PVC pipe. 5 hours with the limited lighting you have isn't doing your plants any good.

The Brazilian spear [sword?] plant sounds like a non aquatic plant to me. Usually it is a Spathiphyllum species which is a terrific house plant. Amazon sword is aquatic however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Kathy, I stand corrected as to the name of the plant...they are swords. (oops) . Now even though I'm thorough in cleaning, I don't vacuum rite around the plants; I mostly scrap algae off the glass, off of every thing else and weekly 10 to 15% water changes. I've had a couple of green algae blooms already so I'm jaded when it comes to allot of light but I'll go ahead and try 8 hours out just the same. The green algae doesn't bug me that much and it's easy to keep away.

As for the plants, yeah, now that you mention it I do have some holes in the older leaves on the swords and the anubias. but not the wisteria or the aponogenten. I wonder what that means?

Would it be helpful to post a picture? You can probably tell I have no clue by now! lol

Last edited by eddie6775; 09-09-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Of course, we love pictures!

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I uploaded one for now, more to come when I master resizing pictures..lol

BTW you have a gorgeous set up! I envy you!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...d=11691&page=0

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode