Acceptable nightly temperature swing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Acceptable nightly temperature swing

So I've not yet installed a heater in my aquarium considering how stable it's been all summer (hasn't moved at all from 25 Celsius, no matter how hot it got outside), but now that falls coming I've noticed a shift of about 3 degrees Celsius each night (from 77F to 71.6F, according to Google).

I've been told that in nature, the fish and what not would undergo a normal and natural overnight temperature variation, but is what's going on in my tank too big a swing for the inhabitants? Should I pop in the heater now to just try and stabilize it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
It'd be better to put a heater in. Even if the swings aren't big enough to be a problem now (which they probably are for any delicate species you may be keeping) as the winter comes closer it'll just get worse and worse. You definitely need a heater.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

Last edited by Axelrodi202; 09-09-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: More detailed reply
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1 the swings will definetly get bigger

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A couple of degrees C (about 4*F) is about the max that I would try for.

In nature there are larger bodies of water and the temperature change is more of an annual cycle.
The daily cycle is more that the upper few inches of the water warm and cool though the day and night, and the fish can get away from that if they want. They have no such option in an aquarium, because it is usually all the same temperature, and that can vary as you are noticing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Planted Member

I used to have a few tanks on a covered balcony when I lived in Los Angeles. So basically outside. For a few months they only had filters, no lights or heaters. But during one cold night, it can get down to the high 30s in the winter, I lost a lot of fish. From then on I put in heaters, but I set them on a timer so they only came on at night an only until about 4am because otherwise during the day everyone would fry in the sun. I had a 30 long and a 20 high as well as two 10 gallons at that time. I had corys, bettas, loaches, danios in those tanks for about two years with no problems.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Heater it is! I just hate the size of the damn thing in my 8g tank haha. One day, I'll replace the Fluval 105 with an Eheim and when that happens, i'll get a nice inline heater that will fit the tubing properly as opposed to Fluval's bastardized "brand-specific" ribbed hosing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
I used to have a few tanks on a covered balcony when I lived in Los Angeles. So basically outside. For a few months they only had filters, no lights or heaters. But during one cold night, it can get down to the high 30s in the winter, I lost a lot of fish. From then on I put in heaters, but I set them on a timer so they only came on at night an only until about 4am because otherwise during the day everyone would fry in the sun. I had a 30 long and a 20 high as well as two 10 gallons at that time. I had corys, bettas, loaches, danios in those tanks for about two years with no problems.
+1 This is real experience.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee View Post
+1 This is real experience.
Yeah, I agree. Definitely what swayed me and makes me realize that I don't (and definitely shouldn't) leave the heater in come next summer. But being that there's a solid 8 months between now and then, it's heater time. Had one waiting already in case I needed it, so it was just a matter of getting it up to the right temp and turning it on. Brought the water up almost right away and everything should be peachy from here on out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode