Hydor inline heater just wiped out my tank :/ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hydor inline heater just wiped out my tank :/

I woke up this morning to see a tank full of boiled 50+ RCS 4 blue tigers and 15 ember tetras the floating thermometer i had was above 110 max line so there is no telling how hot it really was... but it felt like i filled it directly from the hot side of the faucet so be warned after 2 years of use these ETH heaters may go haywire on you.......... so far i think my plants will survive and the MTS seem to still be alive ( not sure how) since my nerites are basically escargot

Does anyone know of a temperature controlled cut off like a timer? so that if the tank gets over a certain temperature it will kick in and kill the power to the heater? the Hydor was great when it wasn't murdering my tank inhabitants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Rancho controller
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Oh my goodness that's awful. Most heaters I've seen auto shutoff when they hit their set temperature. I know mine does.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elppan View Post
Oh my goodness that's awful. Most heaters I've seen auto shutoff when they hit their set temperature. I know mine does.
well these have a mechanical switch in them ( you can hear) I guess the switch stuck in the on position and it just kept going. even now when i plug it in the light stays off but it still gets hot. Just sucks
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy View Post
Rancho controller
that is exactly what i need! thank you!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ugh my Hydor is about 5 years old now.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
oh man. as I fellow shrimp breeder I am so sorry for your losses. I used to run a hydor inline. Glad I took it off now. This type of thing should never happen IMO. Heaters should be made better. A $50 device should not be capable of destroying thousands of dollars worth of livestock. So sad.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just remember every brand of heater on the market today and I mean every brand, has fried at least 1 tank for someone. Its all about how many tanks fired per units sold.
All heaters will fail at some point. Its never fun when it happens but if you keep enough tanks for enough years it will happen to you. Heater controlers almost eliminate this type of death toll but..... I would even bet there is some poor guy who used a heater controller that still got his tank fried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Falcon View Post
oh man. as I fellow shrimp breeder I am so sorry for your losses. I used to run a hydor inline. Glad I took it off now. This type of thing should never happen IMO. Heaters should be made better. A $50 device should not be capable of destroying thousands of dollars worth of livestock. So sad.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have had heaters fail in the past but never fail in a way that keeps them running, they always just stopped working. I will be getting another ETH because it did work very well when it worked. this time though I will be using a fail safe temperature switch. I am just one of the unlucky ones i guess
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that. I had just posted a few weeks ago about the problems I was having with Hydor and their equipment. Just another reason to avoid Hydor IMO.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am sorry for the loss of your tank inhabitants!!

As RLee said, failures do occur with all equipment at some time and everyone has a brand that they won't ever use again because of some failure.

On a side note, I always under-size my heaters in the event of a heater failing in the ON position to help minimize your horrible experience.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Algae Grower

I'm so sorry to hear that! Its sad to lose all those inhabitants. I had a Hydor that overheated as well, caught it in time. thought it was a fluke. I've had others quit and not heat-which I infinitely prefer.

29g heavily planted SA: driftwood, rocks, Angels, Corys, Rasboras.
8g Nuvo: Pineapple SuperDumbo, driftwood, java moss and crypts. A jungle.
10g 3x divided Betta planted with Blue Mustard Gas, Red Double Tail HM, Blue/Red Fire Dragon and snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dana

Facebook LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That sucks, I run that same one and havent had an issue. Id still run it. Id rather have dead fish than a tank that exploaded because of a heater inside the aquarium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is such an old story that it is a wonder it is not required reading. I preach the sermon often. Do NOT use the heater ratings when you buy your heaters. They are high enough to kill your fish and just are not for the real world.

The sizing is okay IF the heater never fails but then that ignores the fact that heater always fail at some point. A heater that barely keeps the temperature up on the coldest night is the correct size. But that flies in the face of what all the "experts" who sell heaters tell us. Hydor for instance sells a 300 Watt heater. Does anybody with experience really think a 55 gallon tank with lights, powerheads and all the other things we use, really requires a 300 watt heater? Or do you think they may make more profit by selling high powered heaters?

My advise on heaters is to find how much heat your tank generates without the heater and then add the smallest one that will add enough heat to meet your minimum temperature.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Heaters just have a habbit of going south. This is a fact of life. Either run it off a controller so the controller can shut it off in case of meltdown or don't use one.

What would Honey Badger do?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode