why does moss attract algae? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
why does moss attract algae?

I googled this question, but found nothing. Algae doesn't grow at all on some plants for me (swords, ferns, wisteria), but thrives on others (HC, hairgrass, four-leaf clovers, rotala indica, MOSS).

So why does moss attract algae so badly? My Taiwan moss is pretty much a scary, unidentifiable mix of hair algae and moss now. Gone for a few days, came home, and it's all there. I already changed the photo-period to 3 hours per day last night, and dosed 2x excel... see if that does the trick. But my question still persists. :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
In the past I've found that some types of filamentous algae tend to grow on plants that have thin leaves close to each other, such as moss and Rotala wallichi. Limiting photoperiod and planting heavily to outcompete the algae helps combat this. I've found manual removal or excel dosing don't really do much for me over the long run.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I gave up on manual removal too. I do hope shortening the light period will work quickly.
How many days do you think it will take for the algae to die off this way?

Gee, I guess that is a very accurate conclusion! All the smaller/finer leaved plants get loaded with hair algae or whatnot.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I think shortening the photoperiod to 3 hours is a bit drastic. 5-8 hours is a more reasonable amount. I've also found lowering light intensity also helps, maybe try raising the lights or getting some floating plants to diffuse the light. It's certainly not a quick fix, and it may take a few weeks or so for the algae to die down, but it reduces the likelihood of future problems.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
my taiwan moss is infamous for getting algae. i had some free floating in the tank and it always ended up collecting algae. after several sessions of picking it out with tweezers, i ended up throwing those portions out. Reducing the photo period only hastens growth but doesnt completely eliminate it. I'll have to consider dosing excel or hydrogen peroxide in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Algae is more prevalent on slower growing plants in general, such as mosses.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

first i get some moss to make a wall from it ... then algae come and stayed for 2 months and then i get some shrimps.. now i miss the algae :P moss is dark green and shiny ... shrimps are red ...algae none :P
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
I always keep a cleaning crew of 3 ottos and 2 Amanos in my tank. No algae so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
|

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Maybe because it is a slow grower with a lot of surface area.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Maybe because it is a slow grower with a lot of surface area.
+1 and needs plenty of CO2 to grow well.
Poorly growing moss= excellent place for algae.
Catches all the detritus also.

Algaefix works well on algae that infest mosses, but does NOT resolve the root cause(generally CO2 for those species of algae listed above), but cannot be used with inverts(kills shrimp pretty good).

You can take the moss out and place in a temporary tray with the suggested dose in that water and wait 3-4 days, then rinse and return and this will kill what is on the moss, but will not prevent infestations from returning(root cause needs addressed).

Excel will not kill or remove the green algae from moss.
Nor will H2O2 etc.

Moss love CO2. Just keep that in mind. I have moss right under my ATI fixture at 1/3 full noon day tropical sun intensity without algae......

Fissidens etc.......

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Moss love CO2. Just keep that in mind.
I'd like to see a good example of this, meaning pictures, especially with the vesicularia sp. taxiphyllum you could get away with as they're easier to grow, fissidens sp will thrive with it. I have yet to see a good moss tank with good co2, without optimum flow o2 surface agitation. Just my opinion, don't want to battle the Barr as you'll prolly win with all your bio scientifical jargon.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Maybe it's algae that attracts moss

just grow them in shaded area in your tank. It's a simple solution and welcome algae in other area (excluding BBA from the list). I like the look of green dust and fuzz algae.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
idk ive had h2o2 kill the algea without killing the moss so id say that it can work for sure and if the h2o2 is to strong or left to long it can kill the moss also.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dang, I can't afford pressurized co2 at the moment at all for my 55... and I was informed from another member that making a DIY co2 for a 55gal won't be effective.
I'd love co2 though; jealous of all the co2 moss that grows those lovely fronds. Excel/glut won't be able to replace co2 in this case?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I have had success with h202 the first time I used it on java moss. The next time I used it it decimated the moss.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode