new tank project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
new tank project

My boss found out today I like fish tanks so he asked me to setup one up at work. That seems normal right but the thing is I work at a waste water treatment plant I'm a water/waste water operator. My boss wants me to setup up the tank with effluent water which is waste water that we have treated and send out to the stream, since we but it out in a stream he wants to see if the fish can live in it and if we are doing our job proper.what is everyone's opinion on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump26 View Post
My boss found out today I like fish tanks so he asked me to setup one up at work. That seems normal right but the thing is I work at a waste water treatment plant I'm a water/waste water operator. My boss wants me to setup up the tank with effluent water which is waste water that we have treated and send out to the stream, since we but it out in a stream he wants to see if the fish can live in it and if we are doing our job proper.what is everyone's opinion on this?
if its treated should be ok. just treat for chlorine and such. I mean ultimately its not any different then what comes out of our tap right?

Do a small 10 gallon test tank or something

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think it is a very important step to see if your finished water is acceptable.

Push for a large tank (minimum 50 gallons or so, I would think, but I could see a really nice 125 gallon, 6' long tank) and use small native fish and plants that are fairly local to the location you release the water. Make it as accurate as possible.
Use the flow though water change system so that there is a constant influx of new water, perhaps a gallon or so per hour (depends on tank size- 1-2% of the tank volume per hour) and a constant drain. A drilled tank is much the best way to set this up.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well yes it is different waste water is sewer. That is our goal is to make sewer healthy enough for all wild life in the environment animals, plants exc. and most tap water is from rain it sinks down through the earth and filters itself untill it joins the aquafer there it waits for us to pump it out or you may have a ro plant around ur house which can use river creek or ocean water. So it is a little different

Last edited by Stump26; 09-08-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would love to setup a larger scale tank but my boss said 10 gallon max and would prefer smaller.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, still, go for it. But 10 gallon. Only one to three fish, and that would be the smallest native. Native plants. Good light. I would still try to replicate the location of the release, since that would be the place where the toxins (if any) are most concentrated.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm in south ms I think the only thing I could put native would be a minnow. Brim,bass,catfish,carp,gar all way to big for a ten but I'll see what I can do thanks for the tips
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm thinking there are some small darters or pygmy sunfish native to that area. Starter wiki.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
you might be suprised at what little fish are living in the stream. I have backpack electrofished streams barely big enough to fill a water bottle in and found 8-12 species! I bet if you asked your state fisheries office to come do a quick electrofishing sample they probably would. That would afterall be the most conclusive proof that fish can live in that water! I could easily see my office doing this for one of our water treatment facilities in state! Although we are extra nice here 8)...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM

This is actually not that uncommon in the waste water treatment industry. I use to do (6 years ago. or so) startups for the blower equipment for the aerobic digestors. I have heard of a few plants putting tilapia in the secondary clarifiers as a biological indicator. Where they grind them up at a random sample for testing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode