Out of curiosity... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
...How do you get your plants? I have never "ordered" any online but I am very interested in some that my LFS cant seem to get for me.
I would like to order some but I am not sure who the best is to buy from. Could anyone suggest a company that they have ordered from and continue to rely on. I am sure there location can effect shipping time also which would in turn effect plant health during shipping no ? hehe...just kinda makes sense to me... I could be all wet on that one though !
I live in Connecticut , USA ... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
And please dont tell me any not to order from ... that just leads to trouble these days

peace... Buck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've only ordered from Aquatic Plant Depot because they're everything I could ask for. Reasonable prices. reasonable shipping and knowledgeable and courteous staff.

I've called in my orders as well as submitted online orders and have never had any trouble. They outline their shipping methods on their site. The plants arrive in a few days, wrapped in wet newspaper and packaged well. Plants are always extremely healthy and are growing within a few days. Shipping is usually $6-$10 so it doesn't make sense to only order one or two plants, although they don't have an order minimum and can send you a single plant if you want to pay for shipping.

Go for it! Try something new and enjoy it when that brown truck stops by and delivers your plants!

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have always either met someone on the boards that was willing to swap plants/clippings. If you make a posting out on the wanted/have board, you may find some success.

I have!

You each pay for $5-6 for shipping/handling to trade shipments...or just pay the person paypal or money order for shipping and their time. It has never failed me yet.

Thanks,
Steve

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank VIP

True, trading plants is a fun and rewarding way to get some new and interesting plants in this hobby. I've been trading quite a few plants for the past 6 months until everything in my tank simply stopped growing. It seems I've maxed out my plant load for the amount of CO2 I am injecting. Light and nutriets are plenty, it's the CO2 that's keeping me from being able to harvest bagfulls of plants every week to trade.

- Sam P -
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Planted Member

Hey Sam...didn't recognize you at first...its steve...

How are the plants going that I sent you...

Ironic that we should be commenting on this topic...:hehe:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Plants are doing well! (conversation continued on email) Hey everybody, see if you can't convince Steve to harvest some of his Sunset Hygro for you, haha! That is one gorgeous plant!

- Sam P -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:59 PM
Planted Member

Actually, Sam...

They are just getting to the point where trimming them would make sense...

Any takers?

Thanks,
Steve
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have nothing to trade but I will gladly pay ya bro... That happens to be one that I was interested in... if ya think its possible drop me an email Buckman ([email protected])
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
This post has been very helpful, as I have been looking for melon swords and anubias. The anubias prices (at various onling places) are pretty cheap in comparison to my LFS, I can imagine that anubias would ship pretty well too. I always liked how melon swords actually keep their round leaf shapes. My tank is actually looking like a planted tank now, but a melon sword would really round it out!

-Tim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank VIP

(wondering if piccolo intended the melon sword "rounding" out his tank pun, hehe)

Anubias at LFS are ridiculously expensive, upwards of $20-$30. I just gave away a piece of my Coffefolia that would go for at least $15. Anubias do ship extremely well. These plants are amazing. I've got an 8 year old Anubias b. var nana that once dwarfed and had 1/8" leaves due to a poor environment and drastic deficiency. It is now huge (well, as big as a nana can get) and doing extremely well. It seems it's almost impossible to kill these plants.

- Sam P -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode