How to de-rim a glass tank? (eta: LOL broke off a chunk of glass) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to de-rim a glass tank? (eta: LOL broke off a chunk of glass)

Wondering what the steps are to de-rimming one of those glass tanks from Petco? I haven't gotten a new one yet (with the sale going and all), but everyone loves the clean, rimless look. You know..

You can't simply peel off the black plastic, since it's necessary to safely hold the tank together. Or is it?

Last edited by caykuu; 09-08-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: eta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I've derimmed a Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank by taking the glass top off it, I'm also in the process in de-rimming my 29 gallon long tank. I've seen people derim tanks up to 90 gallons, and have no problems with the tanks, but I personally wouldn't derim anything above 40 gallons.

As for "peeling" back the plastic, most tanks have the trim held on with silicone, so it's a bit of a project in getting the trim off, but nothing a few straight edge razor blades can't take care of.

And the trim isn't necessary on most tanks, the trim is mainly used by the manufacturers in order to hold the glass steady so it can be sealed along the edges..... If you looks at ADA tanks, they have no trim on any of them......

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
get a heat gun/blow dryer then heat up the top plastic rim. use a utility knife and break off the plastic. then get a metal scraper and apply moderate pressure while scraping. just to be safe, i would not de-rim the bottom half of a tank that is more than 10 gallons. good luck

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm probably going to be de-rimming a 5.5 gallon. Or maybe even just 2 gallons.
What's the risk of leaking for de-rimming both top and bottom for those sizes? xD
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post
I'm probably going to be de-rimming a 5.5 gallon. Or maybe even just 2 gallons.
What's the risk of leaking for de-rimming both top and bottom for those sizes? xD
No real risk of leaking, but tank will still have horrible silicone job. Why not just pick up a Mr. Aqua from MarineDepot if you're in socal?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
I have a 75 gallon that has the bottom part derimmed, and I have had 0 problems in the several months it's been set up. 5 gallons won't be an issue leakwise, but it will be hard to get all of the silicone off.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

5 gallon is really easy to crack the glass when you remove the trim, because the glass is so thin. Some people even cracked the 10 gallons because its so thin.
I derimmed a 75 gallon tank, its up and running without braces for more than a year now. I kind of regret derimming it, the silicone job is just so ugly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just don't have that kind of money to spare, at the moment. :s I've spent too much on other things over the summer. Mainly thinking about taking advantage of Petco's $1 per gallon sale, and thinking about making it a prettier tank than with that fat, black border.

I'll attempt de-rimming just the top then

ETA Nalu: Dang.. If the silicone is really so hard to get off, I may not.. Have you tried sandpaper? (or was that a noob suggestion LOL)

Thanks for the replies, guys!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

A razor blade will take care of any excess silicone.

Sandpaper will scratch the glass or acrylic.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post
I just don't have that kind of money to spare, at the moment. :s I've spent too much on other things over the summer. Mainly thinking about taking advantage of Petco's $1 per gallon sale, and thinking about making it a prettier tank than with that fat, black border.

I'll attempt de-rimming just the top then

ETA Nalu: Dang.. If the silicone is really so hard to get off, I may not.. Have you tried sandpaper? (or was that a noob suggestion LOL)

Thanks for the replies, guys!
What I ment was, the silicone on the bottom is really ugly and even sometimes one corner glass is higher than the other.

Single side razors do the job really well to take of the silicone, just use a lot of them. And be careful, when you do it, its really easy to cut yourself on the razor or the sharp edges of the glass.

Sandpaper will scratch, but I used a dremel with the sandpaper roll to make the edges less sharp.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tried to de-rim my 10gal with my bare hands and a mini saw..
Successfully went around 2 corners... then the third plastic corner came off, and a huge chunk of the freaking glass went with it.

Whatever brand this is does their silicone job really well. :\ Man.

Yep, now I have a broken tank. LOL. It was old anyway.

ETA: I just noticed that I cracked the surface of three of my nails. Maybe bare hands wasn't a great idea for me... xD haha
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Puzzled...

PTrader: (402/100%)
Sorry if it's too late. I use braided fishing line to cut through the silicone (mono is too weak, but the braid stuff is super strong).

Good Luck the next time around.

Bred and grown in the USA... Mostly! Proud member of SFBAAPS!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 AM
SCAPEr

I use a kitchen knife (maybe the dull ones) and heat the knife with fire on top of my stove. Wait till the knife turned red as it heats and cut the plastic rim that way. Repeat heating the knife when it's hard to cut the plastic rim.

To clean the silicone I use multipurpose razor from 89 cent store (not 99 cent but 89). Just scrape it along the glass. Don't worry it won't scratch it.

|

|
|

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
I just saw and rip ... Saw and rip ...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I derimmed a 10g and I used a longer utility blade, wedged it between the rim and the glass, and cut away. Worked OK but I got a bit too rough with lifting off the last corner and pulled a chunk of glass off like you Still used the tank anyway and it started leaking from the bottom about 6 months later. Never derimming a tank again!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode