Disappointed with Fluval, VERY impressed with PetSmart - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Disappointed with Fluval, VERY impressed with PetSmart

On Sunday I purchased some bio media at "company A" and eagerly added it to my tank, only to find out after I added it that the product was incorrectly packaged in the bio media box. What I had actually purchased was Pre-Filter media (small, dense stones, not a typical sponge-type pre-filter). It is an inert product and beneficial bacteria will not grow in it! I emailed "company B" about the problem and requested an exchange from them. After waiting 3 days and getting no reply, I called them. After dealing with dropped calls and being misdirected several times, I finally got a hold of a customer service rep who had trouble understanding what my issue was and insisted that they do not deal with sales direct to the consumer. After finally getting the representative to understand that I did not wish to purchase any bio media, but rather have the incorrect product exchanged, she informed me that they do not deal with that type of transaction either.

Eventually I was able to coax a deal out of her and the best she could do was to offer an exchange after sending the media back to them, in the original box and with the receipt. This would leave my tank essentially filter-less for however long they took, and she told me that it was for a "review" of the product so an exchange was not guaranteed. It didn't help that I did not have the box any longer and she absolutely refused to accept the exchange without the original box.

At this point I ended my conversation with the "company B" rep and called "company A". I spoke briefly with a manager who had trouble understanding my problem (she did not work in the fish department) and transferred me to someone more knowledgeable. The other person I spoke to was very quick to tell me to simply put the media in a plastic bag and bring it in with the receipt, but if I couldn't find the receipt that was okay too. Naturally my luck kicked in and I was unable to find even the receipt but went to the store anyway.

When I got there, the manager promptly recalled the transaction using the computer and the last 4 of my card number and gave me an exchange for the product. Simple as that!

Last edited by HamToast; 09-07-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: changed to share experience, not review vendor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would have saved my time and gone straight back to petsmart without the Fluval phone calls. Petsmart will swap a dead fish within 14 days so they pretty much swap anything.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Well, vendor reviews aren't allowed, so I expect this thread to be locked. However, in the meantime, I'm not sure what the issue is. Since bene bacteria grows on *everything* in the tank, I don't know what you could put in the filter that it wouldn't grow on.

However, if what you were looking for was the rough bio-balls, and got some very smooth materials instead, I think I understand your problem.

Just remember that Matchbox cars will do the same job Bio Max does, though they have less surface area. Sponges, however, have a massive amount of surface area and act as both mechanical and biological filtration ...and for this reason, they're all I use on each of 6 tanks.

That being said, I'm honestly glad that you (eventually) got what you wanted in the first place. Some stores really aren't that bad, even though we give them a whole lot of crap sometimes

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This was meant more as a sharing of experience. I can change the names to be "company A" and "company B" if it is a problem. Although it does come across as a review. I also wasn't really thinking about it that way when I posted this.

As for the products, I meant to purchase a bio media and the pre filter was very smooth and solid when compared to the bio media. It is much more porous and soft. I have read that the pre filter media is inert (it is not a sponge but rather very dense stones of some kind).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Bacteria will grow on the sides of your glass tank. Porous material is preferred because it has more overall surface area but the bacteria will grow on anything.

Was the product actually packaged wrong, as in it was not in the correct box, or did you just buy the wrong thing?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Bacteria will grow on the sides of your glass tank. Porous material is preferred because it has more overall surface area but the bacteria will grow on anything.

Was the product actually packaged wrong, as in it was not in the correct box, or did you just buy the wrong thing?
It was actually packaged wrong. The box was for a bio media (I think ceramic?) and the product inside was a smooth stone-like material. I thought at first it was a new design from what was pictured on the box and put it in my tank, only to realize shortly later that it was not what was supposed to be in the package.

It was a similar product in appearance, but in design it was vastly different. Not the porous foundation for a bustling city of bacteria that I wanted.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode