Amano molting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amano molting?

I've found 2 or molts since I got my 2 Amanos (2 weeks ago i think? Found 1 the day after adding them, found another ystrdy)which I assume means both molted. Now another is kicking with the little legs in the stomach area. Does that mean its molting AGAIN?

Tank journal, please visit and give advise
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187460
-Tapatalk

RAOK Club #31

The Fraternity of Dirt #96

Looking for free easy trimmings. (Pennywort, moss, terrestrial, aquatic, emersed, etc) So PM me maybe.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My tanks-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
It is common for them to moult after moving to a new tank, seems to have to do with the change of enviroment. They use use the swimmerlets under the tail to swim or to fan eggs if they are carrying them. They also will become egg laden immediately after moulting.

Rod
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Planted Member

I've noticed that as soon as my female Amano molts she seems to get pregnant. And the eggs are in mass and highly visible. I doubt they would molt again after just molting.

Contrary to what some people have said on TPT, Amanos will carry fertile eggs in freshwater and the eggs can hatch. I had a ton of Zoes floating around for a few days then they dissapeared. It's quite an interesting event to see if it happens.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

If there's a solution to your problem then you have nothing to worry about. If there isn't, then you have nothing to worry about either.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's probably a molt thanks! I don't see eggs and I doubt it's the normal fanning because it is actually jerking while it does this and clinging to plants/rock/wood.

-Tapatalk

RAOK Club #31

Looking for free easy trimmings. (Pennywort, moss, terrestrial, aquatic, emersed, etc) So PM me maybe.

My tanks-->
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Planted Member

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be carrying eggs. Have you ever had your Amano's stick on your hand? They are strong shrimp!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

If there's a solution to your problem then you have nothing to worry about. If there isn't, then you have nothing to worry about either.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I hope that never happens to me! It would feel weird

-Tapatalk

RAOK Club #31

My tanks-->

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode