tank is running for 2 and a half weeks.. shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
tank is running for 2 and a half weeks.. shrimp?

I have the tank running now for two and a half weeks. Had plants in it after a few days and I have a few ottos and black mollies in there for the last week... Should I wait a bit longer before getting cherry and tiger shrimp? I know they are sensitive to ammonia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpointer View Post
I have the tank running now for two and a half weeks. Had plants in it after a few days and I have a few ottos and black mollies in there for the last week... Should I wait a bit longer before getting cherry and tiger shrimp? I know they are sensitive to ammonia.
test your water, thats the only sure fire answer. however you should have a fair colony of bacteria built up, but don't take my word for it, just take some water to petco or petsmart and have them test it for you

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Better yet, buy a testing kit. A master testing kit for amonia, nitrate/trite etc. will pay for itself in reduced losses and keeping you from pulling your hair out in frustration trying to figure out what's going on with your tanks and the bottles of test liquid will last you hundreds of tests.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
19 bucks on amazon for api master test kit. Free shipping with prime.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Oh, patience... Mother of all virtues....

Why not stick to the month rule?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you really don't want to buy a testing kit just wait a month or a few day longer than a month just to be sure.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't put shrimps in a tank that has only been running for two weeks. Without doing anything to enhance the cycling, typically, the cycling will take about 6 weeks. This is of course subjective as there are several things you can do to expedite the cycling process.

But I'm with the old school methodology, which has always worked for me. And as is known, shrimp are way more sensitive than most fish. Thus patience is the key.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

If there's a solution to your problem then you have nothing to worry about. If there isn't, then you have nothing to worry about either.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
The only way to know is get a ammonia test kit which I would suggest anyways. I set up a tank Monday and put about 7 RCS in it tuesday(=
I did use a filter that was on another tank and the substrate I chose was eco-complete.
You could be perfectly safe or in super danger zone.. check your ph and ammonia levels then use that to make your decision.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ammonia can read 0 and the tank may still not be cycled - you have to be concerned with nitrites as well. Get a master test kit.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Are your ottos on prepared food? If not, they are probably going to die. They NEED algae and your new tank won't have enough to support them. If they are eating prepared food, good. Not really sure why you'd add fish to an uncycled tank though.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Oh, and black mollies are going to eat shrimplets for sure.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Oh, and black mollies are going to eat shrimplets for sure.
Yeah, they like to nip at things on the bottom. They are after all sort of related to Carp aren't they?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

If there's a solution to your problem then you have nothing to worry about. If there isn't, then you have nothing to worry about either.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:55 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm pretty sure your local fish store petco/ petsmart/ mom n pap fish store will do a complete water test for free

|

|
|

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
I'm pretty sure your local fish store petco/ petsmart/ mom n pap fish store will do a complete water test for free
Yes they should. But it's still better to have them on hand rather than having to go to the store to have your water tested every single time. Especially when I cycle a new tank, I'm testing almost everyday to see where my tank stands. I couldn't even imagine wasting all that gas to run to the store to have my water tested everyday

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode