Please help.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please help....

I have been trying to keep up with the fertilization techniques discussed on this site. I've read the Barr article on approximate dosing.

My question is this:
For some reason or another, my plants are not using the NitrAtes as fast as what is suggested here . In fact, my nitrAtes keep going up - if I don't do water changes, they go way up. Why are my plants not utilizing the nitrates as quickly as what they should? I have some BBA growing in the small tank. That algae has been eradicated by Algae Fix (teaspoon doses 2x a week) in the big tank. I don't want to use Algae Fix in the small tank: ghost shrimp!

Thanks!
By the way, water parameters:

on 30 gallon cube:
65 watt CF - 6700
15-18 watts bulb that came with tank
NitrAtes: 10-15 ppm
pH: 6.8-7.2
kh: 4-5
gh: 5-7
NitrItes: 0
Ammonia: 0
DIY CO2 - about one bubble every 5 seconds
Add about 2 mL Plantex CSM+B solution every other day
Add about 1 mL Flourish Excel Every day - to try to help algae

on 58 gallon:
96 watt CF; 6700
80 watts - dual bulb that came with tank NOT CF
NitrAtes: 8-10 ppm
pH: 6.8-7.1
kh: 2-3
gh: 2-4
NitrItes: 0
Ammonia: 0
DIY CO2 - about one bubble every 5 seconds
CO2 Unit (From LFS) - one bubble every 3 seconds
Add about 2.5 mL Plantex CSM+B every other day
Add about 5 mL Flourish Excel every three days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:08 AM

My question is this:
For some reason or another, my plants are not using the NitrAtes as fast as what is suggested here . In fact, my nitrAtes keep going up - if I don't do water changes, they go way up. Why are my plants not utilizing the nitrates as quickly as what they should? I have some BBA growing in the small tank. That algae has been eradicated by Algae Fix (teaspoon doses 2x a week) in the big tank. I don't want to use Algae Fix in the small tank: ghost shrimp!
================================================== ===
Relax man, Nitrates at levels less than 20 are perfectly safe for your fish. My fish live in levels or 80 in my 55 gallon tank, 40 in one 29 gallon, and 20 in another 29 gallon. I breed angelfish in levels of around 40 and have no stressed out fish, so you will be fine. JUst do water changes enough to keep it about less than 25 or so.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

I will relax. That makes me feel a lot better. I just get worried when I read that people must ADD nitrates because their plants use them up so fast. I was thinking that I am not doing something correctly.

I do wish that I could get rid of the beard algae without having to dose the Algae fix though. Any suggestions?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:19 AM

Ouch! Beard algae, from what I have learned is only removed by physically cleaning off the "infected" surface. I had an infestation, and i proceeded to clean it off the surfaces; it never came back. SO thats what I reccomend. And you should have plenty of Nitrates as long as you have enough fish to keep the Nitrogen cycle going. ALso if you have a lot of plants, the plants are constantly losing leaves which give off Nitrrates and other fertalizers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
One of the most important parts of EI is high, stable CO2. I think you might be running into a prob there. Your CO2 (using PH/KH ratio) is too low. EI recommends keeping your CO2 at 30ppm and higher. I think this is why your plants are not utilizing the NO3 at the rate you desire. Consider raising your CO2 or you might want to change your fert routine.
jB
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snytiger_92
I will relax. That makes me feel a lot better. I just get worried when I read that people must ADD nitrates because their plants use them up so fast. I was thinking that I am not doing something correctly.

I do wish that I could get rid of the beard algae without having to dose the Algae fix though. Any suggestions?
for the beard algae up your c02 levels above 30 not a guarntee but it worked for me
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 12:13 PM

How about your phosphates/potassium/traces? How are you dosing these with nitrate?

As Tom will probably say:
Fix the CO2 first, then start looking at your fert regime.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I don't know about the actual levels of those. I dose to 16-17 ppm potassium (and do not dose any phosphates) every water change - R/O water. I do dose Plantex CSM+B every other day: I thought that took care of my traces.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Adding PO4 will increase NO3 uptake....dramatically, but you got bigger probelms, poor CO2............deal with that, then add PO4.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, Tom. I am working on the CO2 issue. I am trying to find a local place where I can get a 5lbs. bottle and a solenoid set-up. I was thinking about the JBJ. Thanks again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode