Cuts and Scrapes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cuts and Scrapes

Do to my occupation I have numerous cuts and scrapes on my hands and fingers and I was wondering if itís ok to be dunking my hands in the tank all the time for pruning and replanting. I have MTS and some Nerites I also dose Excel . Also I was rinsing out my filter media (pot scrubbies from dollar store) in one of my two Aqua Clear 50/200s and it has MTS in it. is this OK for them to be in there ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobos View Post
Do to my occupation I have numerous cuts and scrapes on my hands and fingers and I was wondering if itís ok to be dunking my hands in the tank all the time for pruning and replanting. I have MTS and some Nerites I also dose Excel . Also I was rinsing out my filter media (pot scrubbies from dollar store) in one of my two Aqua Clear 50/200s and it has MTS in it. is this OK for them to be in there ?
My hands are pretty much always beat up, but the only time I keep my hands out are if I've got a deep cut (as in near or needing stitches deep) or a bad burn. Otherwise, rinse well before going in--especially if you're using any ointments!--and rinse well and pat dry on coming out--both of which should be a basic habit anyway. Keep an eye out for any sign of infection and treat accordingly.

As for the snails? Can't speak to your filter specifically, but I've never *not* had at least a couple baby snails in my filter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I do with little nicks here and there, you can always buy long gloves though if you're unsure. I would like some just to keep any residual lotions, soaps, etc out of the water. Some probably remains even after thorough hand cleaning...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds like you work for a living! Congrats on that but it isn't the best nor the worst of things. If you get the cuts and scrapes the way a lot of people do, the fish tank may be a step up on clean! Watch for infection for your safety. For the fish and tank, watch that you don't have medicine or left over soap on your hands when you work in the tank. I find Neosporin to make the cuts heal better but it is also NOT GOOD for the tank.

I got MTS and now find they are in almost all my tanks and filters. Given time they will be in all the sponges and media so that they can't be removed. Nothing to do about it but they can get into the impeller when it is stopped and then jam it on restart. Just a nuisance to deal with once you get them.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good

I read MTS carry parasites and I don't want to catch anything
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Heh, I'm in the same boat. If I'm not careful, they don't heal well after all the dunking in tank water that I do. Keep out of the water until it's scabbed over, and be liberal with antiseptics (but don't get those in the tank - I think I killed some snails that way).

I suggest gloves. Either go with a durable pair that you can reuse, or disposable OB plastic sleeves.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=chibikaie;1999107] be liberal with antiseptics (but don't get those in the tank - I think I killed some snails that way).

Donít use antiseptics just cement, works great!
I just get a cut or a gouge every day I work so there always fresh I always wash my hands with dish soap when I get home
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
Mycobacterium Marinum Its all in the luck of the draw..

The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_Z View Post
Mycobacterium Marinum Its all in the luck of the draw..
What Big Z said. I couldn't think of the name of it. If you google out you'll see how nasty it is. Like it eats up most of your hand kind of nasty. I use peroxide and neosporan on cuts that have been in contract with tank water. If you end up with something that looks nasty be sure to tell the doctor that you have aquariums so they know what to look for. There's a specific treatment that works on this stuff but the regular arsenal of antibiotics normally used don't work.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails: JUST SAY NO!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto Big Z! Google such terms as Fish Handlers Disease, Mycobacteriosis and similar. Click on Images, unless you are easily upset by such things.

I already have one tank I will ONLY touch with gloves (The long sleeve, very sturdy type sold for aquariums with sharp fragments) due to fish dying of 'unusual things'. (Did not have necropsy done)

I wash with hot water and antibacterial soap after having my hands in any tank, and treat even minor cuts and scrapes with H2O2 and Neosporin. Then, I do not return to the tanks until a few days after the cut has sealed up.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Ditto Big Z! Google such terms as Fish Handlers Disease, Mycobacteriosis and similar. Click on Images, unless you are easily upset by such things.

I already have one tank I will ONLY touch with gloves (The long sleeve, very sturdy type sold for aquariums with sharp fragments) due to fish dying of 'unusual things'. (Did not have necropsy done)

I wash with hot water and antibacterial soap after having my hands in any tank, and treat even minor cuts and scrapes with H2O2 and Neosporin. Then, I do not return to the tanks until a few days after the cut has sealed up.
Oh, good to know.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sounds nasty

I think Iíll get some gloves
During the winter months the skin on the top of my hands actually gets quite dry to the point that I have cracks all over my skin that bleed. I believe Iím taking a risk sticking my hands in there
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tend to get covered in yucky crud so it's chlorhexidine for me, or my cuts refuse to heal even after they scab over (and because they get wet or are in awkward places they take forever to seal as it is). Also I've twice glued myself to the skin glue bottle, so I try to stay away from that kind of thing! If you don't work with poop every day, I guess it's a different story.

Mycobacterium are no fun though.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Planted Member

M. marinum is not fun, though very rarely serious unless you are immunosuppresed. For the immunosuppressed (HIV, cancer, on chemo, on steroids, on certain meds for autoimmune disease or organ transplant) it can be incredibly serious and potentially life threatening.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode