pressurized co2 kit meant for nano for a 55gal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face pressurized co2 kit meant for nano for a 55gal?

How effective would getting a pressurized co2 nano kit be on a 55 gallon tank?

http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-re...o2-kit-v1.html

Just thinking through my options. I'm intent on lush growth in my aquarium for a lower cost, being a poor college student...

I have java ferns and Taiwan moss.

Or maybe... is there a way to MANUALLY pump in co2 in my tank every day, instead of purchasing all the expensive equipment? LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
diy method
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Assuming besides DIY at the moment?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (45/100%)
that kit is a waste of time and money for a 55 gallon. The tiny disposable tank will last you a few days on the 55 gallon, if that. That being said, the GLA atomics are awesome. Just get the one that fits the larger co2 tanks. Buy 5 or 10 pounder and run that.

do this one:
http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-re...ulator-v3.html

DIY is a joke for a 55. If you want good growth save up a few bills and get a real co2 setup. DIY is so inconsistent its not even an option IMO.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the link. I'll look into setting up an actual pressurized co2, if the prices added up are affordable (for me).
I have absolutely no idea how to install a CO2 setup though, so pardon my questions; is this atomic co2 regulator all I need to buy?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

With java and moss you dont even need much if at all. You can get by with a higher filter turnover rate and ferts. If your plani g more moderate plants a 20 oz paintball tank with fitting regulator and a mini elite filter or atomic diffuser will run about 62 bucks. 20 for the tank 30 for the regulator. And 12 a elite or atomic. Will last about 3-4 months before refilling if constently on and at low just watch the oh swing curing lights out. 3—4 per a refill. But if you have better lighting 2+ watts even to bottom and ferts then a bigger tank and reg may be needed.

125 ga. Pressured co2. T5ho
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
look on craigslist you can get them pretty cheap if not in your price range try throwing numbers or trades. There's one in fresno with everything for 200.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (45/100%)
A 20 oz paintball tank will not last you 3-4 months on a 55 gallon tank. Maybe if you did 1 bps, but that won't cut it with a 55 gallon. The fact is that you need a bigger co2 setup for the tank size. A paintball setup would work on a nano, but I would never put it on a 55 gallon. I would advise to not do the paintball rig up a wanna be regulator method. Lots of people have had them explode and it's hard to keep the bubble count consistent. Been there and regretted it.

Besides the atomic regulator all you would NEED is a diffuser. A bubble counter and a drop checker would be very beneficial but not essential. It would be fairly difficult to get the correct amont of co2 dialed in without a bubble counter.

Honestly with Java ferns and Moss I wouldn't bother with CO2. The CO2 game is fun, it explodes your growth like crazy. It also explodes your need to be watching the tank very close. Algae grows much faster also. It's a lot more work. If you wanted to grow some stems and a carpet plant then i'd go for it. If you are going to stay with moss and ferns then I would suggest to stay with no co2. moss is easier to grow with no co2 than with for me. Its very easy to fill the moss with algae under high light and co2.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like I'll be staying with no co2 this time around then. I actually had stem plants + carpet plants BEFORE, but didn't bother getting co2, and they turned out pretty poorly.

Thanks for all the info.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode