To Snail or Not to Snail... That is the Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
To Snail or Not to Snail... That is the Question

Have a new tank that is about a month old. Diatoms and some other algaes starting to arrive. I've added three Octocinclus and am wondering whether i should invest in some nerites. I've heard some people talk about the eggs begin laid all over the tank. Are the eggs unsightly? Is there a way to remove the eggs? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
The Nerite eggs disappear on their own after a week or two, I have a lot of Olive Nerites and the eggs are not that bad. No one else really notices them even though I do.

Rod
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Mine pretty much just drop eggs on the gravel, driftwood and each other, with one olive who seems to prefer crypt stems. Noticeable? Only if you're looking close. They don't bother me, but I can see where someone trying to create an impeccably aquascaped tank might go a little bonkers seeing them.

For their cleaning ability--I only scrape my walls for green dot algae once a month!--it's well worth the minor annoyance. If you're worried about eggs and don't particularly care to see much of your nerites--go for the olives. They stay smaller and spend most of their day tucked away. My zebras lay larger, brighter eggs and spend most of their day in plain sight-. I swear whenever I get out the camera to do tank shots there's guaranteed to be a zebra snail butt on the front glass.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have a nice population of pond snails in my 5.5 and I haven't EVER had to clean the inside of my glass. I can't speak for nerties, but I really don't see their eggs ever. I don't even know where they lay them...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I got zebra nerite snails for my 46 gallon bowfront four years ago and I've never had to scrape the glass since. They lay eggs but I find as they get older they tend to lay less and less.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I pulled 1 Zebra Nerite that "egged" several larger Mopane pc of driftwood about two months ago. That Nerite obviously didn't get the email about it's eggs disappearing. It got banished to the Whiskey Barrel pond.

I keep 4-5 adult Ramshorns and MTS they do a fine job get what theAmanos & SAE don't get. I leave babes until they are Pea size then I relocate them to other tanks or feed them to the Loach. The babies get in very small spots adults can't
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Having snails is fascinating and they keep my tanks very clean.

I like my apple snail a lot and bc I only have one, no apple snail eggs. He's a truck and eats a lot.

My ramshorn (thanks dogfish!) lays eggs almost daily, which are easy to see (clear amber egg case) and wipe away with a Q tip.

My friend who has multiple adult nerites actually had them breed. He's the only person I know of who has. Now he has 50 nerites. He lives in a tidewater area so the tap water is high salinity.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
My opinion will always be one of higher biodiversity. If you are going more for an artistic feel ten skip them but otherwise I would do it.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for all the useful information. I think I will give them a try.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode