Electonic metering of tank parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Electonic metering of tank parameters

is there an electronic device/meter/sensor that will take & display/patch into laptop of all the necessary/important water parameters?
or any cct/microprocessor designs for such?
not just carbonate or total/general hardness & pH....

oh... and where can i get a little submersible robot to maintain my tank for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you can't find it sold by this company, I'll wager it's really, really hard to find. Also, please note, if you order their catalog, it has a lot more selection than what you'll find on the web.

PS - hope you've been saving up your shekels.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

There are several options for monitoring and control of water parameters (typically pH, temp, ORP and conductivity, some can also monitor O2). The brand used most by aquarists is the Aquacontroller series by Neptune Systems. Another company is Aquadyne, which makes comparable controllers/monitors such as the Octopus 3000/4000.

I have owned an Octopus 3000 and it was capable of data-logging 2 weeks of data on all monitored parameters or, if directly interfaced with PC, real time monitoring and data logging (charting) of water parameters 24/7/365.

These units are used mostly by reefers and you can find lots of opinions on them at places like www.reefcentral.com

There are at least 2 other monitors and controllers out there that seem very interesting, one is called "Aquatronica". It is Italian made and is available in North America www.AquariumObsessed.com

www.iks-usa.com also imports a German-made (I believe) monitorcontroller.

What is very cool about the Aquatronica is the flexibility to add features as you need them. I'm seriously thinking of getting this unit. All of these units can be interfaced with PCs - some make it possible to check on your tank from anywhere in the world where you can get an internet connection!

150g open-top acrylic tank, Lifereef trickle filter with 20 g sump, Dupla cable heater/electronics/dosing pump/CO2 reactor and regulator, 2 x 150 watt DE HQI Giesemann Novas, Dupla laterite

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

O.R.P. means ? other? required? parameter?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
ORP=>Oxidation Reduction Potential... measured in millivolts(Eh).
Sometimes called Redox levels.

They make specific ion probes(NO3, Ca, Ba, F, etc), you can use these on a number of ion meters. They are not cheap(200-400$ each per probe, then you need calibrate them)
This data can be downloaded etc.

Generally the cost and folks doing the research stick with one machine or parameter at a time or work in teams to measure the parameters.

It's a lot of work.
Regards,
Tom Barr

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Algae Grower

ORP is not something you would typically find useful to measure in a plant tank although they do work just fine in freshwater. They are useful in reef tanks for getting a good idea of general water quality. They are also useful for controlling ozone injection in saltwater systems to clarify water and improve performance of protein skimmers.

Standard ORP probes are no more expensive than decent pH probes but I have found them tricky to calibrate properly.

ORP is standard on multicontrollers like the Aquacontroller and the Octopus. I think it is safe to say that the largest segment of aquarists using multicontrollers are running reefs. That is the advantage of something like the Aquatronica - you can add-on as your needs grow or interests change.

150g open-top acrylic tank, Lifereef trickle filter with 20 g sump, Dupla cable heater/electronics/dosing pump/CO2 reactor and regulator, 2 x 150 watt DE HQI Giesemann Novas, Dupla laterite
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
...if only they could do NO3, PO4 and other nutrient levels.

- Erik

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode