DSM method with HC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Post DSM method with HC

does anyone have any tips for growing HC in a DSM enviroment? please share your experiances with DSM and tips please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Try the "search" tool.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a whole tank full of emersed HC. I really think some people overcomplicate things when it comes to growing emersed plants. Break apart the clumps of HC as best as you can, plant them spread apart. Keep them moist by covering the tank with saran wrap and misting a couple times a day. Give it some good light and watch it go. Trim it frequently so it grows in nice and thick. Pull larger clumps out, break up, and replant if you have bare patches.

Mine went from this:

to this

in about 6 months with minimal care (and lots of neglect)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I have a whole tank full of emersed HC. I really think some people overcomplicate things when it comes to growing emersed plants. Break apart the clumps of HC as best as you can, plant them spread apart. Keep them moist by covering the tank with saran wrap and misting a couple times a day. Give it some good light and watch it go. Trim it frequently so it grows in nice and thick. Pull larger clumps out, break up, and replant if you have bare patches.

Mine went from this:

to this

in about 6 months with minimal care (and lots of neglect)

DANG! six months?????
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
It takes time to grow HC.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have found that most people over mist their hc. I have some growing emersed outside and only mist once a night. You just want to keep the soil moist, no standing water at all. You will see that if the moisture content gets to high it will melt. I really think this is where most people go wrong because the stuff grows like a weed for me.

Also jaguar must have seriously neglected that or the tank is much larger than it looks. I get that much growth in a month not 6.

One last tip is to use old tank water on w/c day in your spray bottle with a small amount of glut/excel to keep algae in check. I have yet to have any fungus or algae in my emersed set ups. I use the water out of my ei tank so the ferts are already taken care of.

Hope my ramblings help, just my experience with it, and best of luck!

Regards,
Karl
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lol yes I said I neglected it big time. No denying that. That's what happens when you aspire to have a beautiful ADA setup and then suddenly lose your job for reasons out of your control.

My post was just to say that you don't need to overcomplicate things, give it dirt water and light and it will grow just fine, if a bit slower than if you obsessively trim/replant it. I still haven't filled that tank. It's an ADA 60-P.

Last edited by Jaguar; 09-01-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: zzz
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumsnow View Post
I have found that most people over mist their hc. I have some growing emersed outside and only mist once a night. You just want to keep the soil moist, no standing water at all. You will see that if the moisture content gets to high it will melt. I really think this is where most people go wrong because the stuff grows like a weed for me.

Also jaguar must have seriously neglected that or the tank is much larger than it looks. I get that much growth in a month not 6.

One last tip is to use old tank water on w/c day in your spray bottle with a small amount of glut/excel to keep algae in check. I have yet to have any fungus or algae in my emersed set ups. I use the water out of my ei tank so the ferts are already taken care of.

Hope my ramblings help, just my experience with it, and best of luck!

Regards,
Karl
thanks for posting, will take your advice and report back when i see results
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
No problem and best of luck! And jaguar I meant no offense to that what so ever. Was just trying to let tetra know that he could expect a little more rapid growth than that lol. And I totally understand life throwing you curve balls, I recently found out that I have a baby on the way :-) and trust me that has changed some of my aquarium plans haha. But like you said all hc needs is light and some water(not too much haha) and it will grow. Nilocg was who I got my hc from and it was his advice to keep the moisture down. I have over watered and that resulted in yellow leaves which confirmed this for me. I also left it in full sun in the middle of July and that killed all but a square inch of it on me. But in the past month it has returned to a solid 8 square inches atleast.

Best of luck to you tetra,
Karl

Tags
dry start, dwarf baby tears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode