What fish are compatible with shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What fish are compatible with shrimp?

I have had to move my tanks (110g,55g,and 10s) to another room in my house. So some of my tanks are getting combined. With the fish that I have what fish could be kept with my shrimp(that mutts I believe RCS and blue pearls combined that I got from a auction:v( ).

Anyways so I have a list of my fish(below) what can I house my shrimp with?

Thanks in advance

The shrimp will have a lot of moss to play in and other plants as well.

White Clouds
Bushynose Plecos
Guppies
Mollies
Glowlight Tetras
Ottos
Neon Tetras
Albino BN Plecos
Upside Down Catfish
Black Skirt Tetra
Panda Cories
Brilliant Pleco
Scissortail Rasbora
Platy
South American Bumble Bee Catfish
Swordtail
Red Eye Tetras
Kuhli Loaches
Ballon Platies
White Skirt Tetras
Glass Catfish
Indian Glassfish
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Bloodfin Tetras
Hillstream Loaches
Pygmy Cories

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr
Ottos,

To my knowledge all the rest would eat the shrimp.

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok thanks for the response.

Now I can celebrate my 1000 post on this forum! lol

55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
Ottos,

Funny thing though... if all the others would eat the shrimp then why have some thousands of shrimps been kept with many species of fish and never had been eaten?

Your statement lack total thought, and you should stop misleading people into thinking this this way.

OP:

Watch these and see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ac.bxmtgPMSyK8
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First off I said "to my knowledge". I did not say it was a certain fact. Besides that point. I'm sure some would survive if given enough hiding spots. That is obvious, but given the chance most would get eaten at some point in their growth stage. Just like Shrimp and Assassin snails. For the most part they would be okay, but there is always a chance they would get eaten.

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
I encourage you to search the Shrimp sub-forum to get a sense of what is and is not shrimp-safe.

It's common/accepted here on The Planted Tank that Otos are the only truly shrimp-safe fish for the typical hobbyist. While there are other species of fish that can definitely be kept with shrimp, their personalities vary, diets vary and whether or not they eat shrimplets or adult shrimp can vary.

And come on - this is a family-friendly forum with many members in their youth. Please be respectful of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imi Statue View Post
Funny thing though... if all the others would eat the shrimp then why have some thousands of shrimps been kept with many species of fish and never had been eaten?

Your statement lack total thought, and you should stop misleading people into thinking this this way.

OP:

Watch these and see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ac.bxmtgPMSyK8

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
Ottos,

Same here, although if your shrimp are prolific, there is enough food for everyone and hiding spots, you can have other fish.

Only puffers and bigger fish would try to eat adults but the main concern is shrimplets (all live bearers females are terrible baby shrimp hunters IME)

That said, when i just started in the hobby, I kept dwarf puffers and RCS for months until the puffers realized the shrimp were food. They killed them all.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post

And come on - this is a family-friendly forum with many members in their youth. Please be respectful of that.
I agree, someone has to re-read the forum rules.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
I won't trust my shrimp with omnivorous fish.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the responses. I was not sure if I should post it in this section or the shrimp section. I've looked over at the shrimp section and I know that if it can fit in the fish's mouth watch out. I just figured I would post this and see what others would say.

10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
That.

It's all really just trial and error with each fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was not sure if I should post it in this section or the shrimp section. I've looked over at the shrimp section and I know that if it can fit in the fish's mouth watch out. I just figured I would post this and see what others would say.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
i have a school of neon tetras and harlequin rasboras with about 20 ghost shrimp. they seem to be getting along well. my tank isn't heavily planted either.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I find that ghost shrimp can survive more fish since in adult stage they get pretty big. They don't really breed so you don't have to worry about babies and young shrimp getting eaten. I would be more wary of them eating fry tho. I have seen some of my bigger ghost, I assume ghost, kill and eat snails and chase other shrimp that are smaller than them. I would not recommend keep ghost shrimp with other shrimp species or smaller fish if you don't want to have to worry about babies getting eaten.

My Ghost shrimp range from approx 2-4 cm.

BAMA AGAIN!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
-Doug

Last edited by dougolasjr; 08-31-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Update
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Planted Member

I have kept CRS, Bumble Bee's, Wild Bee's RCS, Sunkist, Amanos, Ghosts all with fish. Platys, Neon's, Rasboras, Otto's, Kuhli Loaches, Dwarf Frogs, and Congo Tetras. I never saw any of the above listed eat adult shrimp, my Congos and Dwarf Frogs would sometimes snap or mistake my shrimps as food.

And when I did have fish with my shrimp, they were always hidden in my foilage and not very active. Ime all fish will eat baby shrimps given the opportunity except Otto's.

Personally I feel you can never fully enjoy shrimps behaving naturally unless you have no fish. And certainly you will not have prolific breeding, or a high survival rate of baby shrimp.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

If there's a solution to your problem then you have nothing to worry about. If there isn't, then you have nothing to worry about either.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

That is true, shrimp are boring with fish around.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode