Planting advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Planting advice

So I was getting tired of the way my tank looked so I pulled all the plants out and then moved the fish to my q tank, gave everything good cleaning.

Now one of the LFS is going out of business, and they had some crazy deals on plants. I think I am going to keep things simple with this re-do

I got the following; 3 giant amazon mother plants for 8 dollars total. Anubias, Barteri Broad Leaf monster, this this is huge, 6 bucks, and Java Fern Mat, I think it 4x4. What do I do with that, do I break it apart or just plant it while it on the mat? It was 3 bucks.

My Tank is 125g with sump & dual overflows, C02.

I have the aquascape the way I want it, but willing to move things a round if it will make the new plants fit.

So here what I am thinking
1 Giant mother plant on each side of the tank in front of the overflow
1 Giant mother plant in the middle (it won't be exact middle) to the left of the large drift wood.

Where to put the Anubias monster? Maybe it would look cool in the front somewhere? I know should not put something this large in the front, but maybe it would look cool in front of the drift wood on the right, kinda where it dips back in.

What about the Java fern?

Here what I had in the tank before.

Sagittaria - Dwarf (I would guess I have 200 of these)
Sagittaria - non Dwarf (I would guess I have 30 of these)
Tiger Lotus - Green (have one of these)
TIger Lotus - Red (have one of these)
Micro Swords - have at least enough for 1 or 2 rows all the way across the front it I wanted.
Water Sprite (don't care if I keep this or not)
Vals - Italian, Jungle, Cork Screw (I would guess I have 150 of these)
Klenier Bar (1 of these)

Also have ton of small compact swords. I am sure I missed few things as well. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	53250  

Name:	Tank2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	53251  

Name:	Tank3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	53252  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like to DW and the idea of the mother plants on the sides. However have you thought about stem plants? I love stem plants in a large aquarium. It makes the tank that much bigger. I feel with large swords and such, it makes the tank that much smaller. Just my 2 cents. I'm not the one who has to look at it everyday. Keep it up!

Bleeker's the name
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Jim - I really like the HardScape!

If you turned me lose on what you have I would treat it as two "Islands".

Put 2 Swords on either side/behind of the Driftwood on the right. I'd plant a bit tight in close so the leaves grow into the Driftwood.

Put the other sword in the left corner behind the Driftwood BASICALLY REPEATING THE RIGHT SIDE AS MIGHT HAPPEN IN NATURE

The Anubias, Barteri Broad Leaf Monster, O.K. Sit down for this, I'd break it up and attach 2/3s of the plant to driftwood on the right, 1/3rd to the driftwood on the right. I'd Super glue gel it to the lower areas so it would eventual grow up the drift wood.

I would put the Java on SNS and as Trade for Dwarf Sag I would plant that around each Island leaving an open area in the front left and middle rear.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

On the Dwarf Sag. (had to take a 2nd look at the hardscape)

Left front open, Middle back open.

Plant front right hand side, middle front , and some directly in front of the left side rocks like they are taking root at the base.

I think that will create a lot of interest about the open space middle back, drawing the viewers attention into the tank. It will also create more depth.

Wow, I like that so much I want to buy a big tank and do that for myself.

Best of luck what ever you decide. Looking forward to see where you go with this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you still have the Klenier Bar I'd put that on the right back of the left hand Island, the new sword in the left corner of the left Island.

That would really draw the viewer deep into the tank.

You'll end up with only three plant sp. if you look at the award winning tank they seldom have more that 3 or 4 plant sp.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Can I just come over and Scape this for you?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Can I just come over and Scape this for you?

ha ha, sure come on over. Thank you for the advise. I think I like that idea, but are you saying I should not worry about trying to hide the 2 over flows?

hmmm so many things to think about now...

I don't want to get rid of the microsword though, as it cost me a ton and I have so much of it. My options with that are to have it go across the front or use that instead of the dwarf sag.

hmmmm what to do. :-)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sure swap the Micro Sword for the Sag. I kinda misunderstood that you had all the plants still from the prior scape.

Those swords are so big eventually they should block out the over flows. Of course you adjust a little in the planting for you viewing angle.

I know it's hard to limit the sp. of plants, I'm struggling with that myself, In my display tank I have regular Java, Taiwan Moss, C. Becketti and C. Nuri. I did slip in one Bucephalandra that I really didn't have anywhere else to put it.

That come out and will be going in my Desk Nano next month.

I will say by keeping it limited it is one of the nicest Scapes I've ever done.

Fish are 1 sm. SAE, 5 Cherry Barbs (3M2F) and 10 Amano shrimp and 5 of my Red/Gold Ramshorns. There are MTS(snails) but they seldom are out in daylight.

There's enough activity to keep it investing without it looking like Union Station at rush hour.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sounds cool. Was thinking one of these days about nano, but this tank keeps me busy enough as it is.

Yeah this tank been setup for a while, just was time for a re-do and the fact I picked up some new plants for so cheap made it great time to do it.

Also the plants listed are below I have in holding tank that were in the 125.

Sagittaria - Dwarf (I would guess I have 200 of these)
Sagittaria - non Dwarf (I would guess I have 30 of these)
Tiger Lotus - Green (have one of these)
TIger Lotus - Red (have one of these)
Micro Swords - have at least enough for 1 or 2 rows all the way across the front it I wanted.
Water Sprite (don't care if I keep this or not)
Vals - Italian, Jungle, Cork Screw (I would guess I have 150 of these)
Klenier Bar (1 of these)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I do have another question, I assume as long as the substrate has water on it still, which it does, and I keep spraying the plants they should be OK for several hours well I work on the scape?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep just keep them moist, I use a $1 store spray bottle.

BTW -I have a baby Klenier Bar real neat plant.It's outside in my Whiskey Barrel pond. It's Fire Engine Red....Love that one

Last edited by DogFish; 09-01-2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: sp.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'd push those rocks into the substrate a bit. It'll look more natural instead of them being plotted on there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I'd push those rocks into the substrate a bit. It'll look more natural instead of them being plotted on there.
Good idea, i will do that

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Any other ideas before i start today?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

To complement Mr. Green's comment. In nature underwater Islands result from water currents. washing away sand from around rocks were driftwood has collected in the rubble. So yes, the rocks would be in the sand and the sand would gentle slope away from the rocks.

To keep the height of the Islands don't push the rocks down, sweep some substrate sand up to the edges of the rocks or if you have more substrate add it around the rocks for that effect.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode