Newbie question for a 120 gal tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie question for a 120 gal tank

been reading a lot on this forum on how to start your planted aquarium. my questions is, for a planted tank what water filter system would I use for a 120 gal tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 03:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
dude at that big its probably good to have an overflow w/sump. If you don't have it already built in, I wouldn't recommend putting one in. http://www.thatpetplace.com/marinela...&category=2721
That should help you have an idea of what you need. You picked a size that I would NOT recommend to newbies. It is always better to start small because it is less expensive when you set up and if you kill everything (surprisingly easy to do). Again, all is not lost, with a 120 gal it will be easier to keep everything more stable than in a 5gal. But, I hope your wallet is deep because a 120 gal is expensive to set up. If you have any more questions you can PM me or ask another question in a thread. Hope this helps!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Having the tank drilled for a Sump would make it very easy for maintaince and it would clean up the look of the tank. (less plumping & heater relocate to sump)

Next would be two Canister filters

or two maybe even three AquaClear 110 HOB filters

You would have the two filters to have a back-up running and to help move water around the tank more efficiently.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Marineland C-530 Canister Filter - Up to 150 gal.

i saw the link for the marineland canister filter up to 150gal. why would i need two canister filters as you mention? wouldnt one be enough or should i get that one canister filter thats good up to 150 gal and the aqua clear?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Two of the 150gal marinelands would give should about 9x water turn over. Almost up to the 10x rule of thumb people give. When you take into account the speed the mech filter fills up, the flow drops off surprisingly fast. I have since installed a second canister in a hurry as my first practically died over a few day period. The flow virtually stopped.

You can never have too much filtration.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
i have an FX5 in my 125. Its plenty of filteration and flow. I HAD to clean it every couple weeks when i had MTS though.

I did split the 1" line that returns to the tank into two 5/8" lines though to help the flow. I put one outlet on the far left and one inthe middle of the tank and it worked great.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0ny View Post
Marineland C-530 Canister Filter - Up to 150 gal.

i saw the link for the marineland canister filter up to 150gal. why would i need two canister filters as you mention? wouldnt one be enough or should i get that one canister filter thats good up to 150 gal and the aqua clear?
Filters are rated at max flow for a clean filter. As the filter works the flow drops. Some tanks can turn the water 5Xs and hour and be fine However some like a fancy gold fish tank mitt need 20Xs an hour.

Plants alone don't need much filtration as they are a filtration system. What they need is circulation of water. You could run a 120 plant only tank with two large sponge filters and an Air pump. When you add fish and inverts that changes.

When a tank get's to 48" in length it starts to get harder to move the water around.

Another option is a single filter and a powerhead to help circulation.

My best suggestion is get a system that is easiest to maintain that your are happy to look at. If you physically can't or don't want to crawl around under a tank a HOB is nice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

it will mainly be a planted tank, i wouldnt mind a HOB filter. in summary i need to get a filter that will move water, so 1 hob filter will not suffice? or 1 canister?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0ny View Post
it will mainly be a planted tank, i wouldnt mind a HOB filter. in summary i need to get a filter that will move water, so 1 hob filter will not suffice? or 1 canister?
Yes, a canister or a large HOB like the AquaClear 110
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTWKH...eature=related

If you only want to use 1 filter, then I'd suggest adding a power head in the other end/side of the aquarium to help move water.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ml71oOKo0&feature=related

You could also simply use and Air stone in the other end of the tank to create a water movement

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode