Thermometer broke in tank!!! Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Thermometer broke in tank!!! Help!

As I was doing a WC on my 75 gal, I accidentally tapped the tank thermomter and it broke. I cleaned up the glass the best I could, but was unable to clean up all the little balls (that surround the red bulb where it goes up and down to read the temp... the red part didn't break)... I vacuumed the area as best I could, added fresh water and plenty of Stress Coat. But I was unable to get any of those little metal balls out, and they are impossible to find as we have Eco-Complete substrate...

I am afraid my fish will die, what can I do? Help please.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 11:42 PM

do sevaral 50 % water changes. Keep vacuming the area where the balls are. That's the best I can tell you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Same thing happened to me last week and everything is fine... Just watch your fish they are the best warning indicator. You can try to vac them out but I think they may be too heavy...

Josh

Josh
10g & 46g bf, Filstar XP2, coralife 96w, eco-complete, pressurized CO2 w/ DIY in-line reactor & ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
this most likely should not be a problem, the balls are not lead anymore, mostlikely a steel or other relativly harmless material. If you do water changes regularly you should be fine imo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 02:52 AM

probably not a big deal. consider all the metal piping your tap water goes through before reaching your house!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Algae Grower

Those little metal balls are most likely lead. If so you have the same chance of poisoning your fish as the people here who use lead plant weights. While I personally don't like the idea of deliberately introducing lead into my tanks I haven't heard of it being a problem for those who do.

Invertebrates are often more sensitive to metal poisoning than fish. If your shrimp or snails start dying off it might be time to scoop the contaminated substrate out and replace it, but I doubt very much those balls are made of copper, aluminum, or something equally as toxic.

If you do manage to find some of those balls back and they're rusting (i.e. iron), be happy and plant an Echinodorus over top of them.

Tropical Swamp Modeler
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 05:50 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If they are made of steel, you could use a magnet to pull them out

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you have an old hard drive that is broken or of no use to you, they have a great pair of magnets inside of them. SCSI works the best, but IDE will work good too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 08:52 PM

If you have an old hard drive that is broken or of no use to you, they have a great pair of magnets inside of them. SCSI works the best, but IDE will work good too.

=============================================
Why would anyone want to use a hard drive when they can use a simple fish magnet that is used for scrubbing sides?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 10:26 PM

Take the large tube off your syphon and simply use the 5/8in tube as your syphon. It will suck the gravel up quick so do it fast and in the area you want. I did this to remove gravel in a tnak once and it works great.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode