What kind of algae is this? (Red, Blue-Green, or something - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
This algae/bacteria forms on plants, gravel, and glass. It appears as a black/very dark green film that is fuzzy and VERY difficult to remove from silk plants (had to scrape with my fingernail).

I am planning on switching this filter to my new 29 gallon...want to know what I am dealing with before I switch it to my 29 gallon.

This is a lower light 1.5wpg (10 gallon with 15w bulb) tank...20ppm nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia...pH 7.5 Fresh water, live plants (sparsely planted) with medium natural gravel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I can't think of a film fuzzy algae that is difficult to scrape. It sounds like Black Brush Hair algae, but that grows in tufts, not films. Cyanobacteria grows in mats, but is easy to scrape right off.

Regardless, you've given us a clue as to why this algae is prolific in your tank - sparsely planted. Get a good bunch of fast growing plants in there such as Hygro and Sagitarria and they'll help you consume those nutrients before algae can even think about getting at them.

How many hours is your photoperiod?

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
The photoperiod is 11 hours. I have a few live plants, but that is there to ease the transition. This is a tank that I am using to house a number of fish that I had to take off my brother's hands.

I have 2 tanks...29 and a 10. The 10 gallon was stocked with 3 Otos, 3 platys, 2 danios. I took 2 otos and put them in the 29 gallon, added my bros fish (he is moving and can't keep them). So I added one rosy barb, one small bala shark, one cory cat.

Both tanks have just finished cycling. I was planning on moving them all up to my heavily planted 29 gallon: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...ML/016883.html

I didn't want to carry any nasty algae (as opposed to the mild case of green beard algae that I have in the 29).

Here is a pic of what the algae looks like:

(Just go 5 posts into this link)

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...ML/016903.html

Thanks,
Steve

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode