Need help with this plant! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Need help with this plant!

Hello,
So during my journey across NC to get my 55 gallon tank, we stopped on the side of the road at a creek or small river, because we saw some floating plants. After further inspection we saw that there were some cool plants down there and took some home in a five gallon bucket. Well we looked up online about how to kill off things that may be growing in your plants and read that if you soak the plants in a bleach solution it would kill anything on the plants but would not kill the plants, so we did this and after closer inspection of a moss type plant we found, we saw what appeared to be snail eggs, they are way too tiny to see closely with the naked eye but I was able to get some good pictures and I wanted to see what everyone thought they were and what would be a good way to kill them off. I am pretty sure that these are snails and or snail eggs, after the bleach bath and it still seems like most of them are still living, so any suggestions on how to get rid of them would be great. I also want to know what kind of moss this may be and if it is aquarium safe, itís kind of like a moss carpet, so I really hope it is aquarium safe so I can use it as some great ground cover or cover some rocks with it. The photos are in high definition so you should be able to download it and zoom in pretty far and it will still be clear enough to get a better look at the critter. These pictures were all taken AFTER the bleach bath. Iím always open to suggestions and advice so let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00603.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	53167  

Name:	DSC00606.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	53168  

Name:	DSC00604.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	53169  

Name:	DSC00569.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	53170  

Name:	DSC00570.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	53171  

Name:	DSC00579.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	53172  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do a google search including the word Alum and Snail and see what comes up. My understanding is that a long term (few days) soak in water with Alum will kill snail eggs. You will have to research the actual dose and timing.

Copper based products will kill snails, but I would not use copper on anything that was going into a tank with shrimp. Maybe: Treat the plants, then keep them in a bare bottom quarantine tank with some Cuprisorb in the filter. Your choice. Copper seems to hang around a long time, and kills shrimp long after the treatment is over.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the advice on the alum. I want to try and avoid copper at all cost would hate to kill off all my fish!

Also does anyone have any idea what kind of miss this is or could be?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Looks a bit like Riccia to me, but then it isn't quite right. Maybe a closely related species.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
+1 appears to be riccia of some sort! A liverwort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So Ricca should be aquarium safe then?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Tons of people use riccia fluitans! I don't think there are many if any at all aquarium plants that would be dangerous to your aquarium. Your main concern is what's hitching a ride in on your plants. So I'd definitely take precaution about cleaning it properly. Bleach diluted by water might kill it If you have enough bleach to even kill anything on it off so I'd at least test a small amount of the plant first and go from there. If it does kill it then you should look into methods other than bleach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Mann, that brings back memories. Back in Nam, when I was a lil kid, my uncle have this huge 3 story building with this pond and 100+ gallon fish tank. And our neighbor would breed fish in a giant "jar", literally, it would of been 500+ gallons. And whenever I'd come over, he'd scoop a huge laddle of fish, shrimps and plants. And it'll be infested with snails. LOL but I thought pond snails were cool and weren't really pest. But anyways, sorry for the random sharing of memories. That really does look like Riccia, keep us updated. Would love to know more!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I'm going to go ahead and agree that I believe that what I have is Riccia. So far there are still snails and snail eggs on the plants, but it seems like a good bit of them have died off. I'm going to do another bleach bath this weekend and will post some more pictures. Thanks again to everyone that helped me ID this plant.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Another thought about your snails ~ if you want to avoid the chemical route, you can physically harvest them (won't help much with eggs, though). Drop a few unsalted, canned, green beans into the tank. Wait for the snails to gather and pluck 'em' out. Might take several days to get a majority of them, but this method has worked well for me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cool! I have heard about putting food in a salt shaker then pulling them out. I'm not sure many of the snails are alive any more. I check the plants everyday and nothing moves around. But I still have a lot of black dots mixed in with the riccia. So when I take it all out of the tank this afternoon to clen it I'm going to pick off what I can and monitor it for another week or so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode