Drop checker with 32dKH solution!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Drop checker with 32dKH solution!!!

Well another piece of the puzzle has come together. I have had problems with my co2 gassing fish. If you'd like an interesting read check out my previous threads over the past month.

I've been meaning to verify my drop solution was 4dkh instead of say, 5 or 6. Something has not been making sense with my ph controller, adding more sodium bicarbonate to buffer the co2 and my drop checker barely changing.

Tonight I had some time and needed to verify my dKH after yesterday's water change. My tank is sitting at 3dkh. Since I had the stuff out I tested the drop checkers solution. Initially I was testing 25ml instead of 5 to get a higher resolution. After 35 drops (> 7 dKH) I started testing just 5 ml. Boy that solution turne VERY dark blue before finally turning yellow at 32!

Can you believe I actually got a 32dkh drop checker to turn yellowish green?

Anyway I diluted the solution down to 4dhk and reset up my drop checker. Again tonight I'm going to be running my airstone to pull out the co2 and we'll start over with co2 dosing

Moral of the story: Trust but verify!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346125262.781574.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	53109

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)
Did you make the solution yourself? How could it be so far off?
That is a huge difference.

John
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I did not make it myself but bought it. It sounds like it changed hands at least one between the person who made it and me. It's being resolved.

What I'm kicking myself for is trusting it too much even though I've had a kh test kit for some time.

I know I've been slowly killing some fish, mostly cardinal tetras, a few bristlenose plecos, and some Amano shrimp. Even found one of my assassins long dead yesterday.

Oh well. And for the record, none of my fish gasp for air on the surface.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
What color should the solution be in the bottle? I got the drop checker/solution on amazon and it is orange and doesn't really change color

Last edited by crice8; 08-29-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added info
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
What color should the solution be in the bottle? I got the drop checker/solution on amazon and it is orange and doesn't really change color
It should be clear so you can add a few drops of PH solution to change the color to blue. If it's orange, you have something else that isn't 4dKH solution

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

anyone have a link to some good solution to use in my drop checkeR?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nilocg has solution here for a few dollars or there are directions to make it yourself.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Use the directions to make it yourself. It is easy, step-by-step, then you will know it is right.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

where can i find the instructions?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

crice8 - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=178491

Update - the drop checker is working correctly now! Dark green when lights go out, yellow green in the morning when lights turn on. No air stone overnight! My CO2 turns on an hour (or two) before my lights turn on with the pH meter set at a pH of 6.6. This is roughly half the CO2 I was previously injecting last week (and less than a few weeks ago when my pH was mid 5's).

One method to test with a higher than 1 dkh accuracy is to test a higher amount of water. The API test uses 5 ml of water and you add one drop at a time. 1 drop = 1 dhK. If you use 10 ml of water, 1 drop = 0.5 dKH. If you use 50 ml of water, 1 drop = 0.1 dKH. When you dilute the drops the colors become less intense, but for a color change test, it works pretty well. When the value is really low, I occasionally simply cut my solution with another 5 ml of water which cuts the concentration of the indicator.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Wow, that's really impressive.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Isn't that Nilocg bottle?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Don't know. I didn't buy it from him, but somebody else on this site.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode