White discus - Internal Parasite? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
White discus - Internal Parasite?

I recently picked up a white discus along with a few others; all the discus but the white discus appear to be fine and are eating well but the white discus hasn't eaten much since I got him about a week ago and now appears to have reddish brown stringy poop. He has spent much of his time at the back of the tank but has seem to warm up and has come out of the back of the tank during the day. I'm afraid he may have an internal parasite indicated by the red stringy poop. Could I be correct? His coloration looks ok and I am currently doing 10% daily water changes - the temp is about 85f ph is 6.5 and Amonia and nitrite levels are in check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If his/her poop is reddish brown, and not white, it's fine - that's no indication of a parasite.
Don't even think about medicating anything for now.

How many days have you had the fish ? And what size are they ?
Give it some time - it's not uncommon for discus to be somewhat stressed upon being placed into a new environment, and it can take up to a couple of weeks, or even longer, for them to fully acclimate and become comfortable in your tank. And some may not even eat at all for several days. Relax, go about your routine, and observe their behavior over the next few days. Things should improve with time.
Oh, and up your daily wcs to 25% or more, at least for a while.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It has been about a week since I got the fish...they are juvenilles (about 2 - 3") I wish that it was just the new enviornment but I determined that the white discus has a camallanus worm as the red stringy thing from protruding from the fishes anus looks like the fan like tail of the camallanus worm and this morning it has started to eject a white tube like structure. - I have started medicating as of this morning with prazipro - since that this can also be used as a prevenative - also I did a large water change last night before the medication (about 40%) - the rest of the discus appear to be a lot less stressed - as the clartity of their coloration is much better and they appear to be more active. I also think that this camallanus attack could be due to stress caused by high nitrate and fluctating low amonia levels - (unforntunately I thought the tank was cycled better than it was and I have been battling amonia and nitrate the last few days) - I have removed the carbon from my filters and replaced with my own media of poly sponge, amonia sponge, and nitrate sponge and added another small filter to the tank to faciliate extra removal of nitrates and amonina. I would have waited to medicate as you said but the white poop or worm carcass (if thats what it is) made it a necessary action to prevent spreading the worm infection.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If your discus do in fact have camallanus worms ( and your above comments have not convinced me that they have), then of course you have a more serious problem than I originally thought.
First things first - you need to immediately tackle the more pressing issue of the moment - and that is your obviously uncycled tank - which is the more critical problem for now.
I don't know how long you 'cycled' the tank nor by which method, but until the cycling is indeed completed, you need to do large wcs every day, while testing your water params each time for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels - in order to keep the toxicity to a minimum until the beneficial bacteria levels build up and are able to deal with it effectively.

Unfortunately too, your discus are very small juvies, whose immune systems are not yet very well developed, and they are more sensitive and susceptible to any toxicity, and to the harm being done by camallanus if they have them, than larger, more mature discus would be.

Now back to the worm issue - if they do have camallanus, that makes a large negative statement about the source/supplier of your discus, and I think you may want to eventually, if not even now, take that up with them, particularly if you lose any of those fish.

Meantime, if you feel quite certain they have camallanus, and you're determined to treat them for that, you may well find that Prazipro will not do the job effectively.
Most successful long-term treatments for camallanus seem to be achieved by medicating with Fenbendazole (Panacur), according to my research. (I've never personally had to deal with it).
BTW, how many discus do you have, and in what size of tank ?
Best of luck to you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode