Vacation food - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Vacation food

Has anyone tried the TetraVacation gel food?
Here's a link:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=16833

I'm going away for about 10 days and I have 9 green neon tetras and 5 celestial pearl danios. I don't know if they would touch this stuff, as they are used to eating flakes and pellets coming from above. Heck, once the flakes and pellets hit the ground they don't even look at it.

Any thoughts or experiences with this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Its crap, none of my fish touch it. Whenever I came back from vacay it was still just hanging out in the tank just as I left it.

You're better off ordering some Repashy gel mix food from Rachel (msjinkzd). It took my Celestial Pearl Danios about a day to figure out what it was but now they love it!

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Vavation Feeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd603 View Post
Has anyone tried the TetraVacation gel food?
Here's a link:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=16833

I'm going away for about 10 days and I have 9 green neon tetras and 5 celestial pearl danios. I don't know if they would touch this stuff, as they are used to eating flakes and pellets coming from above. Heck, once the flakes and pellets hit the ground they don't even look at it.

Any thoughts or experiences with this stuff?
Hello big...

Unless you have fry in the tank, you don't need to worry about feeding your fish while you're gone. Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food.

You just need to feed a little more a couple of weeks before you leave. A day or two prior, stop feeding and do a larger than normal water change, half the tank volume isn't too much.

The fish will easily live off the little fat they've gained and you come home to a clean tank.

Pretty simple.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello big...

Unless you have fry in the tank, you don't need to worry about feeding your fish while you're gone. Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food.

You just need to feed a little more a couple of weeks before you leave. A day or two prior, stop feeding and do a larger than normal water change, half the tank volume isn't too much.

The fish will easily live off the little fat they've gained and you come home to a clean tank.

Pretty simple.

B
I'm afraid that I have to disagree.

While your statement might be true of large predatory fish... cichlids, etc that tend to eat large amounts of food and then hang out conserving their energy (I only feed my bichir every 2-3 days)- I don't necessarily think that it is true of smaller 'nanofish' like CPDs. Their metabolic rate appears faster and there is significantly less stored body fat for them to tap into.

If the OP were leaving for 3-4 days I'd say it was probably okay to let them wing it but 10 days is probably too long. CPDs and small fish do better with regular feeding. To have them accustomed to that and then go and leave them for 10 days you're going to stress them out and make them much more sensitive to disease or poor water conditions. It would be better for the fish to provide at least something to help tide them over, or have a friend stop by mid-week to feed them.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

|

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Algae Grower

I'd be wary of a lot of the vacation feeders that supposedly last 5+ days. They've got a bad habit of fouling the water fairly fast, and I've lost a few fish to these feeders.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_xajA View Post
I'd be wary of a lot of the vacation feeders that supposedly last 5+ days. They've got a bad habit of fouling the water fairly fast, and I've lost a few fish to these feeders.
Yeah I figured those things wouldn't work. Especially not for 10 days. I have an auto feeder, but I generally find that they leave behind way too much uneaten food. Plus my fish spend a lot of time hiding and usually don't come out until I walk up to the tank, so I don't think they would know its feeding time if food is dumped into the tank without seeing someone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I've heard "Fish Mate F14 Aquarium Fish Feeder" is good. You can fill each section as much or as little as you want.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just another option for vacation feeders.

I've been really happy with the USA AquaChef feeder. Get's mixed reviews (3.7 out 5 at the bookstore), but most of the bad reviews are complaining that it's too difficult to program. I'm guessing these people call their grandkids to help with programming the clock on the VCR.

Mine has been running for about 5 months, dispensing food twice a day. The main reason I was doing twice a day was that it was sometimes inconsistent when set to dispense larger portions. Much more accurate on smaller portions when using flake. As one reviewer mentioned, crisps are much more consistent on all portions, but I've still got some flake to get rid of. Will move to crisps permanently when all the flake is gone, so I hope the fish like it!

Eheim Pimp #513 (Classic 2217 and ECCO 2234)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The Tetra Gel food was just fine for a friend of mine. I did water changes for him while he was gone, and used the Tetra Gel Food. Endlers, Amano Shrimp, and several other small fish in about 5 tanks. Sure the fish did not go crazy for it, that is why it lasted for a week. But it was gone by the end of the week. They just did not eat it all the moment I dropped another one in the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode