Just got my new plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just got my new plants

I just received my plants today, here's my initial impressions before replanting them into my finalized nc6 coming next Wednesday.

Java Fern : I've had this for a long time. I have two of them and they've grown well - although some of the leaves have been eaten a little. It has grown and is still growing with little baby ferns coming out of the mature leaves. One set of baby fern has fallen off and wrapped its roots around a clump of gravel. It grew well in an eclipse 5g hex with 3wpg and 1ml flourish / month. One problem I had was that it would grow beard/bush aglae (it was pretty annoying). I picked that junk off by hand. I like Java fern a lot, and recently ordered narrow leaf Java fern online (which came recently).

Anubias Nana : I just got it recently - I like how the leaves are nice and hard. I don't expect anything to go wrong with it - I've heard stories of how hardy anubias nana is. I'm really looking forward to it. It's arrived larger than I expected.

Anubias Nana Petite : Got it recently - it'll work wonders on my 2.5g. This thing is small, very very very very small! I had no idea how tiny it is. The entire plant would fit on a USD nickel.

Anubias Afzelli : another good plant with very strong leaves. I prefer the look of nana though. The variety will be good though.

Tropica Sword : got it recently - came in a nice thick bunch. I'm looking forward to this plant because it's bright green, very thick, and looks healthy and full. In the nc6, it'll get 18watts @ 3wpg. I hope that's enough.

Unknown Sword : I think it's a sword. It may be an anubias, I don't know much about plants. I've had it for a few days, it's been pretty hardy so far. I lost one leaf, which yellowed and my apple snail ate it in 1 day.

Dwarf Sag : I have 4 of these. I really like this plant because it gives a very nice "grassy" look. I love that it's not too thick, but makes a great cover and playground for my ghost shrimp. My betta loves to hang around and swim in it too.

Wendii Crypt : got it recently - I don't like it. The leaves have started sagging. I heard they were easy plants to take care of. It's not as great as I thought it was. I guess I'll have to give it more time to grow on me.

Java Moss : I don't have any. It's coming next week with my NC6. I've been searching southern NJ LFS for Java moss with no luck. I can't wait to put it in my 2.5g lightly. I'm looking forward to it as well.

-Avi

ps : I'm new to the planted tank hobby, and I'm loving it! aquascaping is so much fun. when I get my camera back, I'll be sure to share pics

Anacharis : gone - I was happy because it grew so quickly that it sucked up all the nutrients. And then it became annoying, requiring frequent pruning, and the leaves would get messy. I gave it away.

Red ludwigia : gone - I liked it, but didn't think I could grow it in 3wpg. I may try it again in the NC6 @ 3wpg. I liked the nice red contrast a lot.

Bacopa : gone - my first plant. I liked it a lot too, but for some reason, I couldn't keep it planted. It always managed to come uprooted. (perhaps it's just because it was my first experience). Like Red Ludwigia, I didn't think I could grow it with 3wpg. I may try it again in the NC6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 02:19 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Sounds like you are off to a good start, Avi!

Have you tried Aquarium Center in Clemonton for the Java Moss?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 02:36 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Avi - welcome to the boards. Looks like you've got some nice, stout plants to start off with. Crypts are famous for 'melting' when they are introduced into a new environment. You may actually see every leaf just sorta melt away (and the dying leaves should be removed). But, there is a very high probability that it will come back with enough time. Stick with the Wendtii. You'll grow to really like them after a while. They offer a different look from some of the other plants you have.

Best of luck!
Brian.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Clementon, NJ is more than 1hr:30min away - too far from Toms River =) I used to live in Mahwah NJ near Hawthorne though.

I asked Mark at Aquariumplants.com to send me some java moss with my NC6 (arriving next week). I can't wait
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 12:02 AM

Aquariumplants.com bad experience

Please... no vendor reviews. Thank you for understanding...
WP
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 07:44 AM
Planted Member

Momotaro; where is Hawthorne?

Never mind, I just checked on Map Quest and if you visit The Aquarium Center you are willing to travel a long way!!!!!
I thank heaven that I'm only 5 minutes away from it.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 12:28 PM

Where is Aquarium Center? I never heard of it. Was it called something else? Momento, I went to Reef Encounters the other night, nothing exciting but the plant tanks were stocked with all the basics. Very clean. Thanks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 12:32 PM

Holy cow!!!!!!
Thats all the way down between Vineland and Cherry Hill. Thats like 3 hours from here!! Cant be that good. I'll just stick to Absolutly Fish in Clifton.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 12:34 PM

Avi,
How is that place on 36 by the mall in Tinton Falls/Deal ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I am always up for a ride! My girlfriend and I usually make a day out of one of those trips!

Let me know when you head over there again, Len. Last time I was there they had some pretty odd plants. Maybe you can give me a heads up on the Crypt selection there?

Reef Encounter is a good spot to stop in if you are looking for an Aponogeton, but that is about it. However, their dry good prices on most items are great for the area.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Planted Member

Mike, I just picked up some nice 'tall' C.wendti. in trade for some huge A.barteri I took over, and they're in beautiful condition. I'm always looking for tall varieties of Cryptocoryne.
They have a nice selection of many of the common Crypts. Let me know what you're looking for if anything in particular. I do remember them having C. Ciliata; Willisii; and a few others in addition to a few varieties of Wendti.
If you want to see an amazing selection of plants and are ever in the Baltimore area there is another place, also called The Aquarium Center (no connection) that has the largest selection I've ever seen.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode