Dosing ferts to kill hair algae? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Dosing ferts to kill hair algae?

Ok, so I posted a thread yesterday to see how to kill hair algae from growing on my java moss in my 2week old aquarium yesterday.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=188363

The re-sounding advice was to dose with excel flourish, keep lights on less, and do a water change. (That's what I picked out of it anyway.)

I tested my water today.

The readings I got were:

gh 180
kh 120
ph 6.0
no2 0
no3 0
ammonia 0

I must admit. I'm a beginner at reading the results and don't really know what it all means.

But I did a bit of research and I think those readings are good, right? I'm gonna do another test tomorrow and see if its all the same...

But back to the point. I've read that in low tech aquariums you dont need to dose fertilizer. I ordered a bottle of excel flourish today, but will I be doing more harm than good?

Is flourish liquid c02?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Flourish excel is a liquid carbon that the plants can use(not as good as co2), and it also can be used as an algaecide
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
I think they mean to spot treat with excel. Meaning, turn off your filters and get out the syringe and squirt it. You could also have used h2o2, which works for me and is significantly cheaper...

Anyway, excel is not any sort of fertilizer per se so it won't mess with your parameters directly.

RAOK club #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
gh 180
kh 120
ph 6.0
no2 0
no3 0
ammonia 0
Always include the units.

GH and KH in this test are reported in ppm. This water is fairly hard, high levels of minerals.
The pH is weird. Usually with the KH so high it will buffer the pH at a higher level.

zero nitrates worries me for 2 reasons:
1) Nitrifying bacteria are not very active when the pH is so low, I wonder if they are not producing quite so much NO3. But the ammonia and nitrite are zero, and this is good.
2) Plants need nitrogen to live. When the NO3 test is zero it also suggests the plants are removing all the Nitrogen, especially the NO3, and may be deficient.

Seachem is a company that makes aquarium chemicals (and other things)
Flourish is their line of fertilizers for aquariums.
There are several products in the Flourish line.
There is Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphate, Flourish Potassium, Flourish Iron and a trace supplement.
There is a product called Excel. This is a liquid carbon source for plants. It also kills things. The secret is in the dosing.

There are several ways you can dose Excel to kill algae.
1) Use the regular dose on the bottle. It says to use a higher dose right after a water change, then the regular dose until the next water change. Some plants (and algae) are sensitive to Excel, and may die.
2) Read the label to find out the maximum dose your tank should have.
Put that much in a syringe (no needle) or eye dropper.
Turn off the water circulation (filter, power head, other)
Use the syringe to squirt some Excel deep into the thickest part of the algae. If there is an extensive invasion you might not get to treat it all at one time. Do not over dose the tank.
Turn the filters etc. back on.
3) Drain the tank or remove the object (rock, driftwood) and treat with straight Excel on non-living things, or slightly diluted Excel on plants. If it is something you can remove from the tank you can rinse off the Excel before returning the rock or wood to the tank. If you cannot remove the item then treat it right in the tank, but remember that much Excel stays in the tank. Again, do not over dose the tank.

Hydrogen Peroxide can be used in about the same way, but do some research about maximum dose. There is some controversy over what is safe.

If you need to treat again the next day, do a water change if you were going for maximum dose of either Excel or H2O2. These do break down in the aquarium, usually fairly quickly (like 24 hours) but it is better not to risk overdosing.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Always include the units.

GH and KH in this test are reported in ppm. This water is fairly hard, high levels of minerals.
The pH is weird. Usually with the KH so high it will buffer the pH at a higher level.

zero nitrates worries me for 2 reasons:
1) Nitrifying bacteria are not very active when the pH is so low, I wonder if they are not producing quite so much NO3. But the ammonia and nitrite are zero, and this is good.
2) Plants need nitrogen to live. When the NO3 test is zero it also suggests the plants are removing all the Nitrogen, especially the NO3, and may be deficient.

Seachem is a company that makes aquarium chemicals (and other things)
Flourish is their line of fertilizers for aquariums.
There are several products in the Flourish line.
There is Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphate, Flourish Potassium, Flourish Iron and a trace supplement.
There is a product called Excel. This is a liquid carbon source for plants. It also kills things. The secret is in the dosing.

There are several ways you can dose Excel to kill algae.
1) Use the regular dose on the bottle. It says to use a higher dose right after a water change, then the regular dose until the next water change. Some plants (and algae) are sensitive to Excel, and may die.
2) Read the label to find out the maximum dose your tank should have.
Put that much in a syringe (no needle) or eye dropper.
Turn off the water circulation (filter, power head, other)
Use the syringe to squirt some Excel deep into the thickest part of the algae. If there is an extensive invasion you might not get to treat it all at one time. Do not over dose the tank.
Turn the filters etc. back on.
3) Drain the tank or remove the object (rock, driftwood) and treat with straight Excel on non-living things, or slightly diluted Excel on plants. If it is something you can remove from the tank you can rinse off the Excel before returning the rock or wood to the tank. If you cannot remove the item then treat it right in the tank, but remember that much Excel stays in the tank. Again, do not over dose the tank.

Hydrogen Peroxide can be used in about the same way, but do some research about maximum dose. There is some controversy over what is safe.

If you need to treat again the next day, do a water change if you were going for maximum dose of either Excel or H2O2. These do break down in the aquarium, usually fairly quickly (like 24 hours) but it is better not to risk overdosing.

As usual Diana is right on..

Beings its Moss your trying to grow, Moss likes a lower light. I do have some moss I grow in a high light tank, but it took me some time to get it there. You can try the excel, BUT most Moss dosent like much Excel. Like Diana said Excel can kill things. So be careful of your dose. It can also kill livestock if dosed to heavy as well.

One thing to remember.........

Light= Work for plants. Its what makes the Photosynthesis happen. More light is more work done by the plants.

Ferts and Carbon= Foods and nutrients. All plants must have some form of this. Some more then others but its all light driven. So If you have higher light amounts you will need more ferts and nutrients. Your tank needs to have more nutrients and food for your plants. you may want to think about adding some of the specific ferts of Macro and Micro. Micro being trace elements and the Macro being NPK. Without these to feed your plants for the light they are getting they will struggle and it will allow algae to get in and take a hold. Algae is very opportunistic. When plants do well and use the nutrients Algae does not. Controlling your light with a correct photo period and intensity is also key. Its a 3 way balancing act for Light/carbon/Ferts.

You may have to trim the Moss or use a new toothbrush and get the moss at the tip into the toothbrush and swirl it into the hair algae and pull it out. This should help make it easier to get it off the plants. Then make sure to have the correct light and nutrients.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode