How to prune? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
How to prune?

I know this may seem to be a simple question, becuase it is. I wanted to know how you guys prune your plants? Do you take out the plant you want to prune and start snipping? or do you prune right inside the tank?

For some odd reason, I have much faith in my tank that I have a feeling I will need to start pruning on the 3-4 week, so lets hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
if you do a search you will find the answer it has been discussed lots before

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Also you'll find that different plants are pruned differently so if you can give details as far as specific species you'll probably get a better answer.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Lets say, stem plants. Do you guys cut off the top and replant it? Do you guys take out like certain plants like lets say rotala indica, and trim it and plant it again?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:48 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Actually, I now have the majority of my stem plants held down with plant weights. I'm using it on L. aromatica, P. stellatus, A, reineckii, and Mayaca. If I'm not looking for more stems/dense growth, I just lift out the plant, snap off the bottom few inches, reattach the weight and sink it back down. If I want a few more stems, I'll snip it 3 or so inches from the bottom, attach a new weight and push it down where I want it. For the Mayaca, I bunch a handful of stems together. For some of the others, I can at times hold 2-3 stems down with a single, "spread-out" weight. I've been doing it this way for the last 9 or so months now, and I've lot it. You need to develop a bit of a touch with the plant weights so as not to crush the stem, but I didn't find it that challenging.

Clearly, many of the smaller stems wouldn't work well with this approach (think H. micranthemoides). But it does wonders for the 'standard' background/midground varieties.

So, there's my approach to handling stems!
Brian.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode