Mosquito larva in bone cleaning water as food? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mosquito larva in bone cleaning water as food?

I forgot to change the water in my bone cleaning bucket for about a week and when I went to clean it today it had 100s of Mosquito larva in it. Would it be safe to feed them to my fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
When our swimming pool used to be covered with a tarp in the fall/winter/spring, there were tons of larvae on top. I used to scoop them up with a net and feed to my angelfish. I am not sure what a bone cleaning bucket is but if the larvae are surviving then you can feed them to the fish (I presume). If I were you I'd go get some feeder guppies from the pet store and leave them in the buckets. You are contributing to the mosquito population whereas towns spend thousands of dollars to spray in order to keep the population down.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
what is a bone cleaning bucket?

This? http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/natresources/az1144.pdf

Creepy...

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
That's crazy....is it human bones? haha
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes that is what the bone cleaning bucket is. I have a bunch of goat,pig,cow,horse,bird,dog and cat skulls/bones that I collected from the fields I walk in and from along the highway. I fed a bunch of the larva to the fish but I still have at least a few hundred left. How long do they stay in the larva stage? I can't add fish to the bucket because I have to dump out all of the water every 2 or 3 days.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
larva stage is about 10 days. I dump the water once a week.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Each time you dump the bucket strain it through a fish net. If the larvae are large enough to get caught in an ordinary fish net, feed them to the fish.
Is there other debris in the water?

I have fed mosquito larvae to the fish many times.
When you approach the bucket, and the larvae know you are there they will dive for the bottom. If the surface is clean, and the bones low enough, sneak up on the bucket and grab a fast scoop with a net. In the time it takes me to take that net full in and feed it to one tank the larvae have recovered and I can get several more scoops. Scoop, take a few minutes to carry it in an put it in the tank, watch the fish go crazy, go get more, feed another tank... Then give the mosquitoes a few days to recover, then another round of cleaning them out. When the net is catching more debris than I want to add to the tanks dump and clean the bucket.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Algae Grower

I collect the mosquitoes from rain barrels and fed them to my apistos.

If you have excess larva, you may want to put them in a smaller container with some water and put that in the fridge. It halts growth and makes it easier for the fish to eat.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

I net mine out and put them in the used hakari frozen bubble packs and freeze em for winter time.

I would think the bone water would be fine, the calcium/mag leeched from the bones might even give the larvae a nutritious boost. I'd just wash them well.

~Kelli

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode