What happened?! Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
What happened?! Help!

I got my pressurized CO2 all set up.. according to the directions and after watching a video.. CO2 blasted out of it for about ten seconds and I tried to adjust the needle valve and the main valve and now i have 0 pressure readings and no bubbles??? did i drain the entire tank in 10 seconds? its a 5lb tank. did i blow the gauges?? help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Trickerie
Did you use the nylon washer that came with it? Did you open the tank up gradually? Was the needle valve completely shut?
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes, yes, and no, the box said to have it completely open??

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
What brand of regulator do you have?

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

milwaukee m957 and i misread it. it was supposed to be closed. it says:

be sure the needle valve is closed before filling the bubble counter with water.......................
turn the adjustment knob so there's no tension...........
slowly open the cylinder valve.........
plug the solenoid in.........
then it said to open the needle valve all the way.

i had it open the whole time, what did i do?
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Two questions.

(1) See the triangular shaped knob on the front of the regulator? What did you do to that knob before opening the main valve on the CO2 cylinder.

Did you turn the triangle knob so that it was loose? Or not?

(2) What does the gauge on the right side (your right as you're looking at the regulator) show. It is on 0 or some number above 0?

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes it was loose

both gauges say 0 now, did u mean now or then?
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I meant now.

Okay, good answers. Sounds like your regulator didn't get damaged. What I was looking for was whether you left the knob tight which will blow the working pressure gauge. When the gauge is blown, the needle won't be sitting at 0 anymore. So it looks like you're okay there.

The worst that probably happened is you lost your CO2. It costs me $8 to get my 10 lbs cylinder refilled. CO2 is cheap. So no real damage done. You just need to get the cylinder refilled and try again.

And don't feel bad. The reason I know about blowing the gauge on the regulator so well is because when I first started learning, I blew the gauge on my regulator. All you did was lose some CO2.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

that is great news and just in time! if i get there before 5 i can get it refilled, otherwise i have to wait till mon......... do i need to close the cylinder valve before i take off the regulator?
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

wait, i looked at it again. the gauges are both reading something - the left about 60, the right about 5 and a half. im reading the big numbers. i thought i was supposed to be reading the little numbers on the right side. the cylinder valve is completely off. :S
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Ah, so maybe you do have some CO2 left!

Since you need to open the main valve on the CO2 cylinder again, it's best to follow the directions again just like before, only correct your earlier mistake. Then you can open the main valve and give it a try. Open it slowly so if CO2 starts to come out like before, you can close it right away. Normally, when everything is working correctly, you should be able to open the main valve on the CO2 cylinder and absolutely nothing will come out of the regulator. It's like turning on the garden hose faucet when you have a spray nozzle at the end of the hose turned off. You might feel some pressure, but nothing will come out.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

the tank feels like there is CO2 in there.

am i supposed to plug in the solenoid before or after i adjust the pressure? the video does it after and the directions say first

which numbers do i want for psi? the bigger numbers or the smaller numbers? the guy at the CO2 place said the small numbers. but i can't turn the main valve to lower it that much, it would come off. the needle valve doesnt seem to adjust it??
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

how could the gauges be reading anything if the tank is turned off?
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Doesn't matter when you plug in the solenoid which is why the directions and video don't match. You can do it either way. However, you have to plug it in when you're ready for it to dose CO2 into your tank.

Give me a sec to look up the manual so I can help with the numbers. It's been a while since I even thought about which ones I'm looking at.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Manual?! Link me a manual lol all i got was the directions on the side of the box. i can send a pic if that would help??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode