HELP! Hair Algae on Java Moss - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation HELP! Hair Algae on Java Moss

My tank has been set up for almost 2weeks now.

Its freshwater, I made a driftwood and java moss tree for the middle of my aquascape.

I thought the tree was growing a bit, but now I'm almost convinced now its hair algae.

I know I have to get rid of it, but how??? Im afraid the java moss hasn't attached properly yet to start tugging at it, although bit's of the java moss look like its dying.

Will hair algae smother java moss eventually? Am I going to have to take the "tree" out again, boil it and start again? Or is there any algae eaters that will eat hair algae???

Ive no experience with planted tanks before, its probably my first hiccup, I understand it will spread like crazy and I want to get it set straight before I get a headache from hell.

THANKS EVERYBODY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
you'll either need to physically remove it with long tweezers (very tedious), try spot dosing with hydrogen peroxide followed by a large water change (or remove from tank and dunk into hydrogen peroxide followed by a rinse under the tap, or dose the tank with excel, also following the spot dosing method using a syringe.

Limit the photo period of the tank to cut down on the algae growth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I find that the best way to minimize hair algae in moss is to control other factors in the tank that are encouraging the algae's growth rather than attempting to remove it, which is quite tedious. Try reducing the amount of lighting and reducing the photoperiod to 8 hours. Also try shading the moss with floating plants or taller background plants if possible. Moss also seems to do better in slightly cooler temperatures. What temperature is the tank at now?

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow awesome quick replies.. Its at Celsius at the min.. The "tree top" is fairly close to the lights, and the surface of the water... but I must admit, I've been so keen to look at my aquarium, sometimes I've had the light on for longer than I would be be supposed to. Will keeping the lights on for a shorter amount of time make it go away any? Or am I definately going to have to dose some chemical of sorts?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry 26 celcius
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
will algae go away with a shorter light period, no... but you will stop it from spreading.

You will have to physically remove or chemically treat to remove. If you are patient with your planted tank, the reward will be worth the wait. Also, when starting a new tank, you want to heavily plant, which is contrary to fish stocking because the plants will absorb the excess light and nutrients. If there is excess light and nutrients, then algae will grow and attempt to take hold of the tank.

Its a balance for certain. If you were closer, i'd give you a bunch of floater plants. You need fast growing plants to suck up the nutrients while offering shade. try to source some locally or from any local shops if they have some. It will help.

Best wishes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
In my experience if the light period and intensity are lowered the moss starts outcompeting the algae. Floating plants are a good idea.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Algae Grower

Try spot treating with a syringe full of diluted excel, worked miracles for me.

Sent from my *rooted* evo design using Tapatalk 2
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just ordered myself a bottle of excel from [Ebay Link Removed] should be here next week, ill keep my mights on for the recommended time. and get the tweezers out and get some of the straggly bits. thanks for your help everyone!

Tags
hair algae, java moss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode