Tips on keeping plants-planted - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Eater
 
bigstick120's Avatar
 
PTrader: (249/100%)
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,182
Angry Tips on keeping plants-planted

I rescaped my tank last week and I am having one heck of a time keeping the stem plants down. I have a small sand substrate 1-2mm. I used tweezers to plant the stems but they just wont stay. I get pissed and through them out and then am left with half of the plants. I dont want to use weight b/c I always seem to damage the stem and I dont think that the plant grow very well, they are bunched to close and the lower leaves fall off. Any tips would be apperciated


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigstick120 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Hypancistrus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,032
Couple of techniques I came up with on my own:

- Buy plant weights and 4" cable ties. Make sure that the "teeth" on the cable ties go all the way up to the square head. Use a pair of needle nosed pliers to aid you in rolling up a plant weight. The hole in the middle should be quite large... large enough for the plant stem to fit through very very easily. But, just large enough so the square head of the cable tie will NOT fit through. Once the plant weight is rolled, clip the bottom of a stem just below an internode, clipping off any leaves at the node. Gently slip it through the rolled plant weight. Now, fasten a cable tie around the plant stem. Since the cable tie has VERY fine teeth, you can tighten it JUST perfectly enough so that it is NOT squeezing the plant stem, but will not slide off the bottom. Be VERY careful NOT to squeeze the stem with the tie. Clip the excess cable tie tail off. You will now end up with a stem with a weight on the bottom that will not slide off. Simply drop it in the tank where you want it. I have had VERY few stems come loose using this technique.

- Use plant plugs, the normal size. Ignore the directions. Use a serrated knife to slice a plant plug in half. Now take one of the halves and slice out a thin depression in the middle (from edge to edge). Clip your stems below the internodes and clip off any large leaves. For small or fine leaves (such as anacharis), leave the leaves alone. Lay 6 or so stems (or more if you're feeling bold, I've done up to 12) in the depression in the plant plug half. Lay the other half on top. Gently hold the halves together and slide the white mesh that comes with the plant plug over the halves. Get two 8" cable ties and fasten them around the white mesh. Put one towards the top of the white mesh and one towards the bottom. You can fasten them slightly tight as the plant plug material will cushion your stems, to an extent. You want it tight enough that the stems remain in place but not TOO tight. Clip off the tail ends of the cable ties. Now bury the plant plug in the tank substrate at the desired location. The plug protects the bottom of the stems. It also protects plant roots if you are planting rooted plants.

Hope that wasn't too hard to follow!

A very important guideline... keep your plants in cool water as much as possible while you are working with them. Fill a bucket with cold tap water and place plants in there whenever you are not handling them. Don't hold the stems with your fingers for too long. The heat from your fingers can damage the stems. Be careful not to squeeze the stems. When you work with the plants on a surface, don't use a towel. Use something that doesn't absorb water, such as a plate or piece of glass (like a tank top). Some species are hardy and this isn't much of an issue, but for many other species, it is.
Hypancistrus is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (86/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,670
I have the same problem since my substrate is half fine and half coarse its difficult when I was planting my rotala indica and bacopa this afternoon, but I was manage to do it. 4" tweezers are worthless, I will be getting a longer one soon.
Jdinh04 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Eater
 
bigstick120's Avatar
 
PTrader: (249/100%)
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
Couple of techniques I came up with on my own:

- Buy plant weights and 4" cable ties. Make sure that the "teeth" on the cable ties go all the way up to the square head. Use a pair of needle nosed pliers to aid you in rolling up a plant weight. The hole in the middle should be quite large... large enough for the plant stem to fit through very very easily. But, just large enough so the square head of the cable tie will NOT fit through. Once the plant weight is rolled, clip the bottom of a stem just below an internode, clipping off any leaves at the node. Gently slip it through the rolled plant weight. Now, fasten a cable tie around the plant stem. Since the cable tie has VERY fine teeth, you can tighten it JUST perfectly enough so that it is NOT squeezing the plant stem, but will not slide off the bottom. Be VERY careful NOT to squeeze the stem with the tie. Clip the excess cable tie tail off. You will now end up with a stem with a weight on the bottom that will not slide off. Simply drop it in the tank where you want it. I have had VERY few stems come loose using this technique.

- Use plant plugs, the normal size. Ignore the directions. Use a serrated knife to slice a plant plug in half. Now take one of the halves and slice out a thin depression in the middle (from edge to edge). Clip your stems below the internodes and clip off any large leaves. For small or fine leaves (such as anacharis), leave the leaves alone. Lay 6 or so stems (or more if you're feeling bold, I've done up to 12) in the depression in the plant plug half. Lay the other half on top. Gently hold the halves together and slide the white mesh that comes with the plant plug over the halves. Get two 8" cable ties and fasten them around the white mesh. Put one towards the top of the white mesh and one towards the bottom. You can fasten them slightly tight as the plant plug material will cushion your stems, to an extent. You want it tight enough that the stems remain in place but not TOO tight. Clip off the tail ends of the cable ties. Now bury the plant plug in the tank substrate at the desired location. The plug protects the bottom of the stems. It also protects plant roots if you are planting rooted plants.

Hope that wasn't too hard to follow!

A very important guideline... keep your plants in cool water as much as possible while you are working with them. Fill a bucket with cold tap water and place plants in there whenever you are not handling them. Don't hold the stems with your fingers for too long. The heat from your fingers can damage the stems. Be careful not to squeeze the stems. When you work with the plants on a surface, don't use a towel. Use something that doesn't absorb water, such as a plate or piece of glass (like a tank top). Some species are hardy and this isn't much of an issue, but for many other species, it is.


Thanks that is a great idea, and you keep the weight and ziptie on the plant stem forever?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigstick120 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 04:24 AM
Collectoritis Patient
 
AaronT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (203/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 2,322
Are you keeping the leaves on the lower parts of the stems or picking them off? Keep them on and they become natural anchors.
AaronT is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Hypancistrus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120
Thanks that is a great idea, and you keep the weight and ziptie on the plant stem forever?
Basically, but remember when it is time to trim the stem, you remove it, and clip and replant the tops. You can unroll the weight and clean it with a toothbrush under water.
Hypancistrus is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Eater
 
bigstick120's Avatar
 
PTrader: (249/100%)
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterofpool
Are you keeping the leaves on the lower parts of the stems or picking them off? Keep them on and they become natural anchors.
Does that hinder any root growth, I guess that those leaves will just die off and roots would form at the nodes anyway


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigstick120 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Collectoritis Patient
 
AaronT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (203/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 2,322
Hasn't hindered root growth for me yet. They just die off and get broken down into the substrate.
AaronT is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome