Tools to Trim, Snip etc. for plant maintence - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tools to Trim, Snip etc. for plant maintence

As a raw beginner with a 55 gallon tank, I am starting to wonder how on earth should I trim and get rid of nasty, dead leaves that are rotting on the bottom of my tank. Everything was going so well, and then bam--algae and dying plants what to do??

I have changed the filters and added a UV Pump that has helped clear the water. I also have a Python, but I must be using it incorrectly since it takes forever to do a water change.

I have also scrubbed the sides to get rid of the algae and I have been doing water changes. A few days ago I did a massive water change and everyone seemed ok.

So one of my main questions is how to clean plants leaves that have algae on them.

But since the tank is 21" deep, I need some type of tools to pick up dead leaves, brush off detritus, and clip off damaged leaves.

I have looked at the ADA tools and while they are beautiful they are also pricey.

Anyone come up with less expensive alternatives?

Thanks so much for sharing!!

Nanci Byers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Any stainless steel scissors will do the trick for trimming. You can use a net and swirl the water around to kick up the leaves on the substrate and scoop it up with the net.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I would go to your favorite auction site and search for something like "aquarium tool".

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Jen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use those manicure scissors you can find at any convenience store for like 5 bucks. They work fine for me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
My favorite tools all came from a veterinarian surgical kit, and I've replaced pieces over the years mostly with similar pieces from dissection and general surgery kits. Basics are long neck tweezers (8"-24"), long handled scissors (blunt tipped and sharp), and some resection tools that work great at tucking stems down or getting around under plants.

I recently replaced my 5", blunt tip scissors. From an aquarium supply site: $11.99. Medical supply house: $5. Top quality, low price, more variety.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Those ars all good ideas--thanks. I guess what I meant is that the ADA tools are very long to enable the user to reach to the bottom of the tank easily. I have some health issues that make me a bit concerned to have my hands submerged in the tank water for any lenght of time.

Nanci Byers
Ogden, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@OVT I went to eBay and found several options for aquarium tools. Just what I needed for a decent amount of money. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

I can't wait to get them!

Nanci

Nanci Byers
Ogden, UT

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)

That's where mine came from, but good ideas from other members.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

Plant Leaf Removal

I am not sure if you can find a long turkey baster, but it is my favorite tank care tool. I use it to gently blow water on the leaves of the plants and most of the leaves that are melting fall off and float to the surface, where they can easily be sucked up by the baster or caught with a net. I also like that the baster can get around the plants safely to clean with too. Does anyone wear gloves when cleaning a fish tank, what material are the made out of?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I prefer trimming with a pair of scissors like these: http://www.amazon.com/Beadalon-211E-004-Squeeze-Scissors-Curved/dp/B004DGIT5U/ (these aren't the exact ones I have, but they are similar)

I had a longer pair but I don't like them... I like these because of the squeeze action, if I need to grab something quick I'm not fighting to get my fingers out of any holes. You really you don't need anything fancy, it just needs to be stainless steel.

I just net out any plant parts that float up to the surface - I usually do it once when I'm done and then again a few hours later.

For picking up dead leaves and whatnot off the bottom, nothing works better for me than a length of tubing with a plastic fork taped to the end.. I can stir up whatever I want with the fork and it gets sucked out by the tubing leaving my substrate mostly undisturbed
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
GLA, Rumford Aquatics and Ebi-Ken are all very good quality for price.

Wave Scissors are my favorite all purpose and XL size pinsettes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode