How do you fill up your tank after water changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)
How do you fill up your tank after water changes

JW how does everyone fill up their tanks after a water change. I have a 29. 10 and a 6 gallon which I use a bucket and pitcher to add new water. Any helpful tips or methods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have a python which I just run directly from the sink to add water to the tank. For my smaller tanks, I make sure that not too much water is flowing out too quickly, and for my 75 I just let it go wild.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Look at my signature, I have a tool that I made, also Tom Barr shared what he uses

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you're doing a 30% water change, refilling almost ten gallons with a pitcher must take way too long. A siphon hose is much easier and faster. Don't buy one of the hoses from a fish store with the "specialty siphon valve attachment". They charge $30-$40 for a few bucks worth of hose and a useless plastic valve. 20 feet or so of 3/8 or 1/2 inch tubing is only about $8-$10 at Lowes or Home Depot. Stick one end in your tank, hold the other end against the faucet until it fills up, then turn off the water and point it at the drain. It will automatically start siphoning. To fill back up, attach a nut that will fit around your tubing and fit the thread after you twist off the spray nozzle of your sink ($1.50) and turn your water on. This makes the whole process hands free so you can plant, 'scape, and do whatever while its draining and filling up.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Syphon hose into a 5gl water bottle (water cooler type w/handle)

1 gl milk jugs to fill. No tanks over 40gl. really not that big a deal, No water spills ...works for me.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
A 44 gallon Brute connected via bulkheads to my system. Use the return pump to push water to a drain and then open the valve from the Brute refilling the system
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
as of right now i do the ol' fill up empty gallon water containers but now i have a pump that i will be getting hose for, filling up a big container than just pumping it right in instead of walking back and forth 40 feet.. whatever works as long as your fine with doing it. for the 29 gal a couple empty gallon containers is fine its not too big of a tank, especially for the smaller ones.. i'm setting up 50 and 55 gals now and some with sumps.. I would just keep it simple the way your doing it. only suggestion if your not doing it is to get two containers of same size and while ones filling up under the sink than just swap to make it half the time. but a 29 is small so you should be good with that..
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use a medium sized rubber maid and cheap syphon. The bin is small enough I can carry it easily and fit it under the tap, I think it holds about 1.5 gallons. But I'm only changing out a 20 and a 10.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Mini: A 2 quart pitcher and my hand.
20g/10g: Tom's handy dandy DIY water changing tool.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I drain with a hosing using a PVC hook. There is a PVC ball valve attached to this "hook" and I fill it back up using that.

I use ordinary garden hoses. The cheaper the better, as they are MUCH less likely to have anti-mold treatments. I've been using various cheap garden hoses for a decade on my tanks on client tanks. Never once had an issue.

Think of an upside down J.

Carrying jugs and buckets is pointless and way too much work. When draining with a hose I run the hose outside to water plants and the lawn(only water it has got this summer......... no rain here till this week). In the winter it still goes outside. Better than dumping down the drain. Then just hook it to the spigot and fill er up while adding dechlor(I use cloram-x). The ball valve on the hook makes it easier to shut off when it is full then go turn water off.

It is easier on your back, easy on your wallet, and easy to operate.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to bucilini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
Look at my signature, I have a tool that I made, also Tom Barr shared what he uses
13 pages dude. why not just post it here so people dont have to go huting?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:50 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to bucilini
Since my tank is close to an outside wall... i drilled a hole to the outside and fit it with 3/4 pipe and fittings and i use a hose to drain the water out and refill it back in via a rubber hose from the water pipe. ( i do run the water through the outside water hose for a couple of minutes before i put it in the aquarium) Thats what i have so far maybe i can improve on it later.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
how do you de-chlorinate the water before it enters the tank if a python is used for the water change?

Sincerely, Unikorn

RIP20 gallon tank journal

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucilini View Post
13 pages dude. why not just post it here so people dont have to go huting?
Because hunting is fun.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&postcount=136

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&postcount=132

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unikorn View Post
how do you de-chlorinate the water before it enters the tank if a python is used for the water change?
Like I said, just add dechlor to the tank when filling. It isn't as if chlorine kills things instantly. I've been doing it this way for longer than half of the people on this forum have been alive.....

Now I feel old.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode