Help ID this flora - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help ID this flora

Good morning everyone;

I have something that has sprouted and growing in my ten gallon tank at work. It's cute, but if it's a nuisance plant, then I don't want to keep it in the tank.

take a peek at these pictures that I tried to take, and see if anyone can ID this for me please:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Planted Member

Hey, I would really like to know what this is, too. When I bought some bunch plants from a lfs recently, some of this stuff was tangled in the bunches.

Nolan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

It's actually kind of neat looking, and I could imagine pruning it and forcing it to grow certain ways, around rock work, as a carpet on the floor, etc...but I don't want to keep it if it's a nuisance to the tank environment.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Looks like some sort of bladderwort.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
Looks like some sort of bladderwort.
It doesn't look as thickly branched as bladderwort, but possibly it could be a variation.

I'm guessing then from doing a quick search on bladderwort, that it's more of a nuisance in tanks than what people want...yes?

Maybe I could pull as much out as I can get and take it home and put it in my pond out back.??
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
There are lots of different species of bladderworts, for example Utricularia gibba looks alot like that.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

So I should probably extract it from the tank then...seems most I've read on the species is that it's definitely a nuisance.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok, after doing some more research and getting a couple other suggestions, I still don't have a real good idea as to what it is......so I'm going with the opinions of a few who have answered, and letting them take the lead on what to do with it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Not sure where you got the source from ID'ing it as staghorn algae, but that would be the last thing that I would consider. Check out the nodes in your pictures...definitely not staghorn.

Eric

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
Not sure where you got the source from ID'ing it as staghorn algae, but that would be the last thing that I would consider. Check out the nodes in your pictures...definitely not staghorn.
couple different sites I'd have to go find again. From the pics I saw it looked more like staghorn than it did bladderwort and the pics I saw of different types of that.

Either way, it's obvious that it's an algae that I need to extract from the tank.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am 100% sure that it is a bladderwort, Utricularia something. It is not an algae

And some people might see it as a nuisance, I myself would keep it pruned to a small amount and enjoy having such a different plant in my tank. I think it's kind of pretty.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain-
I am 100% sure that it is a bladderwort, Utricularia something. It is not an algae

And some people might see it as a nuisance, I myself would keep it pruned to a small amount and enjoy having such a different plant in my tank. I think it's kind of pretty.
well rain, Ibn, I will certainly take your heeds over what I know...I'm very green in planted tanks, just trying to learn as I go along. So if it's not algae, then it might have some benefits to being in the tank?

I like the way it looks as well...so I might just take your advice and see if I can't prune it around the rock centerpiece I have and keep it contained.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, like other plants, it takes nutrients and produces oxygen. But it also catches tiny creatures with it's bladders. In a (tetra and other small species) fry tank it isn't such a good thing at first, but the bladders are small and not capable of catching anything large. Fascinating plant

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain-
Well, like other plants, it takes nutrients and produces oxygen. But it also catches tiny creatures with it's bladders. In a (tetra and other small species) fry tank it isn't such a good thing at first, but the bladders are small and not capable of catching anything large. Fascinating plant
I guess that is what was throwing me. In all the pictures of bladderwort, the bladders look very defined; on this plant, they're noticable, but not as defined as ones I saw in other pictures.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I also say it is Utricularia gibba. Got something very similar in my tank. You can clearly see the bladders in the picture.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode