What to do with cholla wood.... what to do... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

PTrader: (28/100%)
What to do with cholla wood.... what to do...

Hey guys! I want to get small cholla wood pieces for my nearly plant-devoid RCS tank, but my previous idea went down the drain (Not literally!!). Can anyone think of an idea for an arrangement involving about 5 pieces of six inch long cholla wood pieces (All would be straight, not twisting or curving).

In case you're wondering, my previous idea was to arrange the pieces in a tee pee fashion (Ya know... indian tee pee? Like, their portable animal skin tents?), and then get some flame moss to attach to the wood. A friend said that it probably wouldn't work out, so here I am, asking for what arrangement I should do.

Another easier quick question is, what are some good background stem plants, that grow well in low-medium light? I already have Rotala Colorata, Ambulia, Green Cabomba, and Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata. Any thoughts?

THANK YOU!!!!

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape this hobby. You have been warned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Why wouldn't it work out? As long as the cholla pieces are joined together, it'll hold up. You can use reef epoxy, super glue gel, stainless steel screws, zip ties, etc.

Then use super glue to attach moss to the cholla.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Oh, by "Didn't work out" I meant it wouldn't look that great, the shape and size wouldn't match.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I think the tee pee idea is really cool. If all the pieces were the same length and general width then it would work.

As for background plants, sunset hygro is always good.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
I don't do this anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
I think the tee pee idea is really cool. If all the pieces were the same length and general width then it would work.

As for background plants, sunset hygro is always good.
Really? I'll probably try it then. If this is a ten gallon tank, where should the tee pee go?

Thank you all for your help!!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I think it'd look cool in the center or slightly off-center, but I'm no aquascaping expert.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (63/100%)
I would do it on a 1/3rd line. but the dimensions and top are going to look odd if it isn't really thin until the moss covers it and you can shape it a bit. you might beadle to get the dimensions to look a bit better by cutting the tops on a slant so it ends up looking a bit taller and more pointed. rotala rotundafolia tends to grow everywhere for me so have a number of different hygros and other rotalas that i can't remember the names of right now.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller View Post
Hey guys! I want to get small cholla wood pieces for my nearly plant-devoid RCS tank, but my previous idea went down the drain (Not literally!!). Can anyone think of an idea for an arrangement involving about 5 pieces of six inch long cholla wood pieces (All would be straight, not twisting or curving).

In case you're wondering, my previous idea was to arrange the pieces in a tee pee fashion (Ya know... indian tee pee? Like, their portable animal skin tents?), and then get some flame moss to attach to the wood. A friend said that it probably wouldn't work out, so here I am, asking for what arrangement I should do.

Another easier quick question is, what are some good background stem plants, that grow well in low-medium light? I already have Rotala Colorata, Ambulia, Green Cabomba, and Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata. Any thoughts?

THANK YOU!!!!
I'd suggest taking your cue from how cholla tends to land on the ground in nature and incporate them leaning against a couple of rocks. Picture one large rock with a medium one in front of it and a couple really small ones scattered nearby. One cholla piece behind the large rock for vertical height, another caught at a sharp angle between the large and medium pointing right, another rest between that piece and the medium rock pointing left. A fourth laying on the ground among the smaller rocks. The fifth could go deeper into the tank at a slight angle and further to the side than the fourth. Moss could be introduced anywhere in the arrangement.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode