What is the proper way to trim stem plants? (ludwidia, et al) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
What is the proper way to trim stem plants? (ludwidia, et al)

I have had mixed luck trimming my stem plants

Parrot feather - I've had issues when lopping off the top 1/2 or 2/3rds. As they grow, the bottom leaves just die. Sometimes I get a new growth head started from the very top by the cut point. Others, nothing.

Camboba - this guy is very stem-heavy. It is roughly 2 - 2.5" between leave groups. Trimming him has been hit or miss.

I have had luck trimming/splitting didiplis diandra. Actually, the bottom of the plants die and I'm left with floating stems which I then separate and replant.

Penny wort has been pretty easy to trim and replant the clippings.

I have some Ludwidia Repens and Ludwidia Atlantia which I'd like to split, but don't know how high or low to cut the plant. At the moment they don't need a trim, but do want to grow more of these guys.

Thanks!

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm curious about this too. Do you clip and re-plant both the bottom and the top? Or do you clip and re-plant the top or clip and re-plant the bottom? The bottom always looks sad after I clip but I feel bad when I throw away the bottom with all the roots the plant developed.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have used the basis that if the root / bottom stem is still stiff (not mushy) then it is still alive and might grow. I've left just bare stems w/ no leaves but healthy roots and eventually will get new shoots. Other times, they eventually die.

Also, do stem plants like root tabs? I don't have any but am considering for my madagascar lace (which is really growing slowly)

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
I clip the top off and put it in the substrate next to the bottom. The bottom then grows more stems and the patch of whatever it is gets really thick. Stems do like root tabs, but they can live without them. The madagascar lace would probably appreciate the root tabs.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi sphack et al,

Here is a simple to understand, well explained explanation of how to trim stem plants to achieve that dense, bushy look we see in the AGA winners; enjoy!

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
This might get better/more responses if it were in the plant subsection of the forum. You'd need to ask an admin to move it.

I have had mixed results with stem plants, I'm also curious about this.

Are you supposed to cut right above or right below a leaf node when trimming or does it matter.

And when replanting I have read that you are supposed to remove the bottom leaves that would other wise be buried in the substrate and I have seen where people say to keep the leaves and bury a couple to help anchor the plant till the new root growth takes hold.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
Subscribed. Is like some more on this as well!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't do this anymore

PTrader: (28/100%)
I'll be following. I would appreciate this info as well.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape this hobby. You have been warned.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode