LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Aquarium Safe Glue

Attachment 52680 Attachment 52681

Are theses glues aquarium safe?

If so, do they hold up over time?

Do I have to apply the glue to dry items only or can they be wet?

I'm planning to use the Gorilla glue to glue a rock to the base of my DIY Zip Tie Moss Tree, and the super glue for attaching the moss.

I just want to make sure that I got the correct stuff.

Thanks.

Last edited by tylergvolk; 11-28-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I use the glue that comes with my acrylic fingernails - it's the same as superglue. I dry off the items as best I can, but when I use it to glue plants to driftwood the wood is usually still pretty wet. But the drier you can get it, the better.

I have no idea if Gorilla Glue is safe.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Super glues or any brand cyanoacrylate are safe for your aquarium. Reef people use them to glue live coral frags (fragments) to cement posts for growing out.

Here is the official word on Gorilla Glue.

Thank you for contacting the Gorilla Glue Company.

Gorilla Glue will work on varied surfaces and it does provide a 100% waterproof bond which can be submerged after curing a full 7 days. Once cured, it is inert and it will not leach anything into your aquarium water.

Gorilla Glue will work on most plastics, such as ABS, polycarbonate and pvc for example, as long as the surfaces are scratched up first where the glue will be. This will get the plastic to be a bit fuzzy looking, gives a texture to the slick surface and it gives the glue something to hold on to. It will not stick to polyethylene and polypropylene plastics as noted on our packaging and containers. These specific plastics are manufactured with a high amount of petroleum so the surfaces are too slick and oily and the glue cannot get a secure or tight bond. The best example of these plastics are our containers and caps since we know the glue will not stick to it! If you do not know the type of plastic you are gluing together, it becomes a ‘trial and error’ approach. Gorilla Glue will not damage or dissolve the plastic, it may simply peel right off of it.

I hope this information is helpful. The Gorilla Glue Company is a family owned business that was built upon the belief in our products and our desire to respond to our customers’ needs. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and if you have any additional questions or comments, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Mary-Ellen

Mary-Ellen McGrath
Gorilla Support Team

The Gorilla Glue Company
4550 Red Bank Expressway
Cincinnati, OH 45227
P: 1-800-966-3458
E: [email protected]
F: 1-513-527-3742

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Super glue gel type seems to set better when the things you are gluing are wet, for example moss to driftwood.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Gorilla glue works. It's best in dry conditions and will take time to cure, about 30 minutes. It will expand as well so a little goes a long way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode