SMART FISH PEOPLE! Stocking help! 1week old planted 55gallon :-) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
SMART FISH PEOPLE! Stocking help! 1week old planted 55gallon :-)

Ok, so my new planted aquarium is up and running, She is 9days old today!

She's a Juwel 240 (55gallon)

Eco-complete substrate (with sandy beach area in the middle), Avi Root tabs, prime de-chlorination.

Java Moss Tree, dwarf sags, bacoba australis, golden anubias, anubias nana.

No co2

1.5wpg light +2hrs sunlight.

Everything seems to be going ok so far... I think everything is settling in, but as this is my first planted tank I have nothing to judge it by...

What I need help with is stocking.....

What are my options of fish with this size tank bearing in mind that its heavily planted? I would hate to get a few badly selected fish to destroy my aquascape... Its one of the main focal points in our home.

At the moment we have 4 ottos going on advice that they keep plants clean in the early stages in planted aquarium... and one blue ram :-0 I've heard he might not do well in a new aquarium. but he was bullying EVERYONE in my non-planted aquarium to the extent that they were burying themselves in the sand to hide, it was either the new aquarium or he was getting flushed :-(

We're still undecided as to what we're fish to add.
How many community fish could I get into this tank?

Or should I get a 1 or 2 big Fish?

I need suggestions! What works for you? is there a list compiled anywhere?

Its sad how enthusiastic I am about my aquariums....

Thanks everyone!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
if you want to keep the blue ram, try semi-aggressive fish that can hold their own against them. I've had luck with angel fish, gouramis, congo tetras, cherry barbs and a small school of cardinals with my ram. Even my feisty odessa barbs did fine with the ram. It helps that your tank is heavily planted.

The amount of fish you can keep depends on how much filtration you have and the size of the fish...it can vary. You can have fewer large fish or many smaller fish. I had about 35 fish (large angel, large blue gourami, one ram, 5 2-3 inch congo tetras, 7 cardinals, 5 cherry barbs, 4 platies, 5 odessa barbs and a few others) in my 55 with 3 filters running.

No need to apologize about your enthusiasm - we all share it

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quick question -- is the new tank cycled?

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Add nitrifying bacteria before you add fish.
The fishless cycle is great, but since you already have fish I would get one of the bottled cycle products that contain Nitrospira. Read the label and make sure you get the right one. Many 'cycle in a bottle' products have the wrong species of bacteria.

Tetra Safe Start
Dr. Tim's One and Only
Microbe Lift's Nite Out II
are some that have the right bacteria. I am pretty sure Tetra is available over on your side of the pond. I am not sure if there are others.

To use these products add a small amount when you add just a few fish, or add more when you add more fish. Keep the Nitrospira in the fridge between uses.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its not cycled yet, I'm just getting my research done now so when I'm ready its just a matter of "Wham, Bam, Thank you Ma'am!"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode