How long can a tank go if a canister fails? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
How long can a tank go if a canister fails?

My g6 is dying. The flow keeps falling off. For the past few days it has been very low. This evening it stopped altogether. I managed to drain it and reclean all the seals and it's running again. I don't know if I'll run all night.

I'm looking at overnighting a filter. If my filter dies overnight, can the tank survive 48 hours without the filter running?

I could make a makeshift sump above my tank with the media baskets and a submersible pump..

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you run a bubblewand hooked up to an air pump yes the tank inhabitants can survive for days if not weeks. You just want something that will disturb the top of the water to create oxygen, depending on your tank setup, and how your plant stock vs fish stock ratio is you might get away with nothing for a few days, but if it were me, I would go the bubblewand/air pump route just to play it safe....

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am running an air stone at the moment.

Side questions:

Is there any problems putting the heater before the filter?

Can I add an external pump inline with my filter? I have a high head pump. Don't know the flow off hand but it is more than a broken canister pump.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

I always put my heaters for my tanks right next to the inlet tube on one of my canister filters, this way the warm water gets sucked into the canister filter and when it comes out it spreads throughout the tank.

As for external pump, I think what you mean is having the pump basically acting like a return pump for a sump filter, but instead it's rigged for a canister filter?

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
I always put my heaters for my tanks right next to the inlet tube on one of my canister filters, this way the warm water gets sucked into the canister filter and when it comes out it spreads throughout the tank.
I was worried about potential for bubbles forming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
As for external pump, I think what you mean is having the pump basically acting like a return pump for a sump filter, but instead it's rigged for a canister filter?
Yea that's the basic idea though I would not expose it like a sump.

Inlet -> heater - pump - filter - co2 reactor - return spray bar

Should the pump be placed before or after the filter canister or should it matter? I guess the real question is are pumps better at pulling or pushing? I know they're better at moving a large volume, but info have a high head pump with its impellers shaped slightly differently.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphack View Post
I was worried about potential for bubbles forming.

Yea that's the basic idea though I would not expose it like a sump.

Inlet -> heater - pump - filter - co2 reactor - return spray bar

Should the pump be placed before or after the filter canister or should it matter? I guess the real question is are pumps better at pulling or pushing? I know they're better at moving a large volume, but info have a high head pump with its impellers shaped slightly differently.
Most pumps are better at pushing then pulling just my experience
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Have you contacted fluval?

Fraternity of dirt #8

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
That is why I like having two filters. I hope yours doesn't fail on you yet.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Put the pump at the beginning. I have run a fountain pump on a totally dead HOB, and it filtered the tank just fine.
Coarse sponge over the pump so it does not get plugged with debris.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I have two powerheads, plus a SunSun 302 (the small one) on my 30g cube. I went on vacation for two weeks. The night before I left, I installed a new check valve on the CO2 line going into a reactor. During this process, I unplugged the can, and never plugged it back in. Sometime during my two week vacation, one of the two powerheads hiccuped and didn't restart. So I was left with one powerhead for the entire two weeks, and one powerhead for some part of it.

When I returned, there was a lot of uneaten food on the substrate. I don't know if this was a result of overfeeding by my tank-sitter, or some reaction to a situation caused by lack of filtration. There was some significant cloudiness, but the fauna all survived. The flora seemed a bit worse for wear, but has bounced back in the past few weeks. Though there's a bit more BBA than usual. In 2-3 days, water clarity was back to normal, and all the excess food was consumed.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Contacted fluval. They want me to send the head part back. I've cleaned everything they asked about and no luck. When I got home from work the filter was for all intense purposes not running.

I picked up an eheim 2075 from a lfs. Set it up this evening and it was flowing nicely.

When I mail the head part of the filter back, I'll put my spare pump in its place so I can keep the heater (not really needed) and co2 (really needed) running. With my decreased flow I'm not able to keep much cO2 in the water.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think if I ever get another filter I'll be getting a Marineland. I skipped eheim because of all the stories of horrible customer service, instead got a Fluval 406. It is very nice, love the quick disconnect and the shape. The black ribbed tubing and white/grey in tank parts are a matter of personal taste, I though they could have done better.

Point is that I opened a ticket with Fluval, it is pretty quiet but not the "so quiet you aren't sure it's running" I expected from other reviews. I can here it hum like a refrigerator, and I swear it has a slight rattle when you are close to the tank. Like a small pebble inside. The only response was "you have air in the pump head, shake it and wait"

I really don't think that is it, have disassembled, filled, shook, waited, etc - it always settles into the same sound. I think the impeller (or its housing) has just a little too much play, but it isn't enough to call it broken, just enough to make me feel a bit unsatisfied and willing to consider other brands. If they had come out of the gate with 'we'll send you a new impeller and its plastic door' I would have been a hooked, loyal, 'These people are amazing' customer.

That's what I've heard about Marineland since then, the response seems to be 'we'll make it right' from them.

And in what world is it ok for any aquarium hobby supplier to think you can go without a filter while they receive, examine, repair and return it?

Last edited by jbrady33; 08-21-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: stupdity, wrong model number

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode