What keeps you going? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
What keeps you going?

Simple question for everyone. We all had our ups and downs in this hobby and when something goes wrong causing you to lose hundreds of dollars worth in livestock, what makes you not give up and keep on going?
For me its the reward of owning a aquarium, and a large part, this forum which keeps me motivated and constantly inspired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Seeing my fish and plants grow and thrive, being inspired by this site to try new things. It never gets old I just had an awful bout of ich and lost a few fish...instead of giving up, I'm on the lookout for different fish to try keeping...may a pair of kribensis or rams! I also want to try some different plants, maybe do a rescape.

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
When I see fry in the tanks. That's what makes me say "it's worth it" to myself.
Set backs are only temporary and are learning experiences. With every year that goes by, I try to move up a level of fish. By that I mean I like to challenge myself by keeping fish that are known to be harder to keep. Next step is discus for me.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
This forum is big inspiration to me too, especially when I look at my tank and see tons of bba because I don't have co2 yet. (I will at the end of the week!)

My inspiration are my fish though. I love watching them, I love how much they have grown and how they interact with me.

Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
It makes my apartment look really, really good.

Oh yeah, I like seeing the fish/critters swimming and being healthy and happy in their new home.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I get a lot of my inspiration from seeing other peoples' tanks and thinking "man, that tank is so nice....I bet I can make something look that nice". I also simply enjoy owning aquariums. They're relaxing and always fun to watch....which is why I don't have a television in my room. 3 aquariums is like constantly having new tv series episodes released.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
I get a lot of my inspiration from seeing other peoples' tanks and thinking "man, that tank is so nice....I bet I can make something look that nice". I also simply enjoy owning aquariums. They're relaxing and always fun to watch....which is why I don't have a television in my room. 3 aquariums is like constantly having new tv series episodes released.

Love it. Watching my aquarium>TV any day of the week.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Growth in my tank is what keeps me in this hobby, for both fish and plants... seeing them grow makes me feel accomplished and know I'm doing something right... It's like our own little world... worth every minute and penny put into this hobby.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I just did a rescape after seeing this thread I have my 55 next to the couch and I can watch it for hours. my 12 long reef is on the counter between the living room and kitchen and I'll pull up a bar stool and watch that too. It's a very rewarding, relaxing hobby.

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
40 breeder reef

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
What does it for me is seeing the yearly aquascaping contest. There are loads of gorgeous tanks out there. Alot of skill and time goes into these tanks to give us the impression of a perfect tank. No such thing but to attempt to achieve near perfection for my own tank(s) is goal I'd like to achieve.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm another of those who spends hours watching my tanks instead of TV. I love that it is, inherently, a collaborative improvisation. In even the most formal and structured tanks the fact that you're working with living elements means you have to be ready to compromise and adapt; you can only force things along to a certain degree and even the most familiar species can throw you a knuckle ball. And the harder the problem, the sweeter the victory when you solve it.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
My folks are old 86 and 85.

I wanted a hobby that would keep me inside with them, and would get them involved.

They love to garden, but it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Having the fish and plants and snails and one day shrimp engage my parents and they are delighted when the betta girls respond to them!

Mom is excited that our new fish will be red and she will be able to see him when she washes dishes.

Dad thinks the Fluval Specs look great!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
my OCD

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
My tank is my indoor garden.

I spend time watching everything grow (& fighting algae!) & thinking about all the things I can spend money on

Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
O.c.d

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode