Interest in stem plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Interest in stem plants

Hey guys. So I've never seen the allure to stem plants. I mainly love my ferns and mosses but just recently I believe something has sparked my interest in them. I jut hope it's not a spark that starts a wildfire >.< anyway, what are y'all's favorite stem plants and what to you recommend to me. It's not until recently that I've introduced something other than green into my aquarium. I got some red tiger lotus so I'm open to a wide range of colors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm the complete opposite, I have no desire for anything BUT stem plants. Here's my list:

Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Ludwigia arcuata
Lymnophilia aromatica
Rotala colorata
Bacopa sp. Japan
Staurogyne repens

That's all in a 20H. I love Staurogyne as a foreground and the ludwigias grow very well for me. There are tons of other options out there though and I'm sure others will respond with some other great stems. What's your lighting by the way? co2? Ferts? That will dictate in many ways what will do well for you.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well. I've got a coralife dual t5ho fixture total of 48 watts. Occasional DIY co2. Flora max substrate with seachem tabs. I also have a nutrafin plant grow liquid fert that I dose with what's left in my syringe after I dose my higher tech tank. After a conversation with hoppy(a lighting guru from what I understand) I believe I've got low light according to a par reading on coralife lights. I think I'll upgrade by getting a Catalina fixture as well. This will give me medium light with the option of high light ( both fixtures functioning)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple2101 View Post
I'm the complete opposite, I have no desire for anything BUT stem plants. Here's my list:

Ludwigia repens x arcuata
Ludwigia arcuata
Lymnophilia aromatica
Rotala colorata
Bacopa sp. Japan
Staurogyne repens

That's all in a 20H. I love Staurogyne as a foreground and the ludwigias grow very well for me. There are tons of other options out there though and I'm sure others will respond with some other great stems. What's your lighting by the way? co2? Ferts? That will dictate in many ways what will do well for you.
Pictures by any chance?

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If its a hygrophilia, you will probably love it. Be it corymbosa, polysperma, even pinnatifidia.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:35 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I generally like small leaf stem plants. Some of my favourites are
Didiplis diandra
Ludwigia brevipes
Hemianthus micranthemoides ( as a bush)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
I'm a fan of sunset hygro and ludwigia red. myrio mattogrossense is nice as well. though I must say blyxa japonica is one of my favorites, even though it isn't a stem plant (i think)

|

|

RAOK Club #72
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
I'm a fan of sunset hygro and ludwigia red. myrio mattogrossense is nice as well. though I must say blyxa japonica is one of my favorites, even though it isn't a stem plant (i think)
Blyxa japonica is indeed a stem plant, believe it or not.

Personally, i really like different Persicaria species. Some cool ones to try would be P. 'sao paulo', P. 'kawagoeanum', P. hydropiperoides, P. 'porto velho', P. praetermissum 'ruby', and P. odorata. Out of them all, i'd have to say that 'sao paulo' and odorata are my favorites. The first one gets very, VERY pink under good conditions, and the odorata has a unique leaf/stem structure really unlike any of the other species that i've seen.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Blyxa japonica is indeed a stem plant, believe it or not.

Personally, i really like different Persicaria species. Some cool ones to try would be P. 'sao paulo', P. 'kawagoeanum', P. hydropiperoides, P. 'porto velho', P. praetermissum 'ruby', and P. odorata. Out of them all, i'd have to say that 'sao paulo' and odorata are my favorites. The first one gets very, VERY pink under good conditions, and the odorata has a unique leaf/stem structure really unlike any of the other species that i've seen.
Really? Wow that is awesome! Yeah I have tons of blyxa in my tanks and I love the look. It does well in my low tech but having a little bit of an issue in my high tech tank...

|

|

RAOK Club #72
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There's too many stem plants with long confusing names

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Personally I love Eichhornia Diversifolia and Pogostemon Erectus back when I had stem plants

I'm now with crypts, moss, ferns, anubias and MQ now that I'm in my junior year of highschool and won't have time for maintenance now, even more so in college. Apart from feeding my fish, I can pretty much leave it as it is for a few months.

Sent from my fingers

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Personally I love Eichhornia Diversifolia and Pogostemon Erectus back when I had stem plants

I'm now with crypts, moss, ferns, anubias and MQ now that I'm in my junior year of highschool and won't have time for maintenance now, even more so in college. Apart from feeding my fish, I can pretty much leave it as it is for a few months.

Sent from my fingers

I absolutly love Pogostemon Erectus! Its amazing if you have about 8 - 10 stems in a bunch as your focus point

Bleeker's the name
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i love all plants. stems are pretty high up on my list though
my fav is slightly to the right center in the back.
ludwigia glandulosa
this is a horrible cell pic.. soorry

u can even see my creepy old lady neighbor that sits outside watching me work on my fish tank all the time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-28_10-26-20_935.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	53203  

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeker View Post
I absolutly love Pogostemon Erectus! Its amazing if you have about 8 - 10 stems in a bunch as your focus point

Sorta dark but you get the idea

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I fell in love with Rotalla macrandra years ago and it's still my fav plant. Stems also give you a great variety - soo many to chose from and each with it's own character, and that's just one part of the enjoyment you can get from this hobby

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode