How to move one tank into another? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
How to move one tank into another?

As you may know, my 20 Long is leaking (or maybe not...) And I need to set up a new tank. I will be using Aquasoil New Amazonia, in a new 20L tank. Now, how should I move the contents (plants, driftwood, fish) into this "new" tank? I'll be using the same filters/media, but I know that AS leeches ammonia. I wanted to cycle the tank in 3 weeks with the AS and one filter, but I'm worried about re-acclimating sensitive species (rummynose, otos). What should I do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I would do a couple water changes after adding in the new substrate.I would put the same filter on the new tank that was in the old tank and dont clean it. That way the tank will cycle faster. Adding the driftwood and plants will cycle it faster as well. As far as the fish, especially rummies will be the hardest part. Mayb keep them in your old tank under the leak line if possible for as long as you can. Being sensitive fish may need a day at least to let it cycle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
ADA can leech for upto 6 weeks sometimes.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
When your old tank becomes dry you can try to use some silicone on it. GE silicone 1 seems to be what people use

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
I would do a couple water changes after adding in the new substrate.I would put the same filter on the new tank that was in the old tank and dont clean it. That way the tank will cycle faster. Adding the driftwood and plants will cycle it faster as well. As far as the fish, especially rummies will be the hardest part. Mayb keep them in your old tank under the leak line if possible for as long as you can. Being sensitive fish may need a day at least to let it cycle.
What, you mean I can transfer the fish after just one day? I'm confused.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

RAOK Club #69
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
1) Skim the top layer of old substrate. Put this in 3-4 mesh bags. Move the fish, filter, plants... everything into the new tank with the rest of the old substrate. That gets them out of the leaking tank. Hang the mesh bags in the tank where there is good water movement. These bags hold the substrate that has the most nitrifying bacteria. Remove one bag per week.

2) Put the new substrate into a bucket or something and keep doing water changes until the ammonia is gone. This can take over a month. Do lots of water changes. You do not have to worry about nitrogen cycling this substrate, the established filter is already cycled, and you are keeping it with the fish.

3) Fix the leak.

4) When the new substrate is ready (no more ammonia leaching) move everything back to the old tank. Skim the upper layer of the old substrate again, a reasonable population of bacteria has grown on it. Keep that in 3-4 mesh bags. Remove the remaining old substrate, put it in a bucket or whatever. You can use it in another tank, if you want.

5) Put the new substrate in the new tank, decorate, plant... then fill slowly with water. Pour the water in onto a plate or plastic bag. Let the water seep slowly over the edge of the plate and into the substrate. This will minimize clouding. Add equipment, mesh bags with the old substrate. Add fish.
Moving the substrate might kick up some ammonia. If you want to, you can spread out part 5) So you set up the tank one day then monitor it for a few days while the fish are still safe in the tank with their bacteria-rich filter.

6) Monitor the conditions in the new set up. Be ready to so some water changes if needed.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

And how would using Prime for daily water changes affect this?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

RAOK Club #69

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode