OK Just got my Eco Complete... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
OK Just got my Eco Complete...

Hello all,
I just picked up 7 bags of Eco complete for about $20 bucks a bag. Not a bad deal I think. I currently have a 75 gallon that is failing miserably as a planted tank. I guess I will start with the substrate and the lighting. I have a 260 watt PC sitting on top right now. I am only using half of that currently. The Amazon swords in there are looking pretty rough. So I guess a CO2 setup and ferts and I should be good to go huh? Anyone have a proven method for fertilizing? I have done some research on here and still am a little fuzzy as to the fert routine. Is there anywhere I can get a list of needed items and a general how to for these things? It would just be easier if it were in black and white. Also, what test kits would I need and where would I get them? I may just sell the big PC and get a 2x55 from AHSupply and do a low light tank if I can't figure this all out. Crypts and Anubias can make a beautiful tank right? Anywho, any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Jim,

Anything above 30g should have pressurized C02 from the beginning, but you may not have done enough research when you got your 75g.

Here is a list for a Preussurized C02 system:
- C02 Tank (20lbs is suggested for a 75g)
- Regulator (Milwauke or JBJ)
- Air Tubing
- PH Controller (Optional)
- Inline Reactor
- Diffuser (Prefer Glass)

You can get those supplies at any of the sponsors that are listed below on this forum, if you find cheaper go for it.

You do not want to start dosing ferts until you get your C02 where you want it to be, some suggest anywhere from 30-45ppm. But again it just depends I guess, I have my tank at about 11ppm and I need to raise it up before I can start dosing the EI method.

As for dosing, you'll have to ask other members on the board. I'm not really sure how my dosing method works yet.

I would stick with the lighting that you have, 3.4wpg is in the high range but you'll be okay, its better than 1.46wpg. But it just depends on whether you want to do a low or high tech tank.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

I did research on the CO2. I just didn't want to admit that I needed it. I am ready to buy the needed components for that. I just want to figure out all of the fertilizing stuff before I do. I wouldn't have a problem with a lowlight especially if it was a little easier. I know that CO2 will help even low light plants but I probably won't make that investment for a lowlight tank. Any easy way to fertilize?

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Estimative Index. I have a link to it in my Guide.

Pretty simple. Dose, water changes. No test kits.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
- Inline Reactor
- Diffuser (Prefer Glass)
If you use a reactor, you pump water through it (most people hook them up to their canister filter) and hook the CO2 line up to it.

If you use a glass diffuser, you attach it to the tank glass with a suction cup inside the tank (usually) and hook the CO2 line up to it.

In other words, you use one or the other, not both.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Right, forgot to mention "Either One".
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Planted Member

You do not need to have pressurized Co2. There are plenty of people here that are running DIY Co2 on your size tank.

I am running DIY Co2 with a DIY reactor on my 55g tank. I have 4 soda bottles and I replace one every week during water change. I have hit 50ppm with this setup.

Sure in long run pressurized would be a way to go. But itís not necessary.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Rex, in your guide you recommend a test for phosphates. Does that still hold true? I am doing some more research on Ei and dosing and whatnot. There is just so much to learn.

If I use CO2 of any sorts it will be pressurized. I am not a fan of changing out the bottles and such. Cheaper and easier over the long run is the way to go for me.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by molurus73
If I use CO2 of any sorts it will be pressurized. I am not a fan of changing out the bottles and such. Cheaper and easier over the long run is the way to go for me.
That is the best decision, don't waste a lot of time mixing and pouring. Pressurized C02 is going to be one of your main figure for your planted tank. Plus it will last longer in the long run!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If you are just starting the EI you might want to do some tests. It's not required. And that's the joy of EI.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molurus73
If you think you can save money by using pressurized co2 in the long run think again. Sugar and yeast cost $6.22 at Costco that lasts 3 months (at 4 bottles/month). A pressurized Co2 system will cost you at least $400. At that rate it will take you 16 years to just recover your cost of initial setup. This assuming that you get your Co2 refills for free (do you ?).

As far as time is concerned, it takes me 5-7 minutes to recharge each bottle. Unless you have a home Co2 delivery, it takes time to have your Co2 bottle filled.

I am all for paying extra for quality. But Co2 is Co2, no difference where it comes from.

I find it very funny when people recommend PMDD over flourish line of ferts (which are far more superior to PMDD) to save money and then turn around and recommend pressurized Co2.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk-sd
If you think you can save money by using pressurized co2 in the long run think again. Sugar and yeast cost $6.22 at Costco that lasts 3 months (at 4 bottles/month). A pressurized Co2 system will cost you at least $400. At that rate it will take you 16 years to just recover your cost of initial setup. This assuming that you get your Co2 refills for free (do you ?).

As far as time is concerned, it takes me 5-7 minutes to recharge each bottle. Unless you have a home Co2 delivery, it takes time to have your Co2 bottle filled.

I am all for paying extra for quality. But Co2 is Co2, no difference where it comes from.

I find it very funny when people recommend PMDD over flourish line of ferts (which are far more superior to PMDD) to save money and then turn around and recommend pressurized Co2.
I don't want to turn this into a rant thread, so I will just say that DIY C02 does differ from presssurized C02. About 20% of the time, the brews does not activate. Some people find it more convient to just go with pressurized C02 becuase of all the mess and such of DIY. I run DIY C02 my self and don't find it hard, but I would go with pressurized C02 when I have the money.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to JHipkin
As you consider pressurized CO2 be sure to determine a convenient source for replacement bottles of gas. I use a local brewing supply store. There are other sources as well. If you are dosing ferts you don't want to be w/out CO2 for long when you empty a bottle.

Good luck w/ your plan.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
I don't want to turn this into a rant thread, so I will just say that DIY C02 does differ from presssurized C02. About 20% of the time, the brews does not activate. Some people find it more convient to just go with pressurized C02 becuase of all the mess and such of DIY. I run DIY C02 my self and don't find it hard, but I would go with pressurized C02 when I have the money.

No rant, just disagreement.

I am not sure why some people cannot follow simple two ingredients (well three ingredient if you consider water) recipe. I have never had that problem(brew activation). I guess some people failed both math and chemistry in school.

mess ? what mess ? Don't tell me people are........!?!
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't think a pressurized CO2 system need cost you at least $400. I believe several people have put them together for considerably less than that. I'm pricing out the pieces to do one and even being a bit lazy and not completely DIYing all the components I don't think I'll be anywhere near $400 Canadian even.

DIY CO2 isn't the biggest deal in the world, no, but for a large tank, sorry, it does become a bit of a hassle and your CO2 levels aren't consistent. CO2 tank refills aren't that expensive and are required very infrequently, so after the initial outlay I think the convenience of steady CO2 levels and one less thing to worry about is worth it, at least to me.

I'm not looking to turn this thread into an argument. If you don't find the DIY CO2 a bother then, of course, you probably would just rather continue on that way. And people do need to be made aware of all their options. For myself, I think the best option will be pressurized CO2. Obviously others may feel different.

Pimpin' the Eheim at #153

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode