moss id(s) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
moss id(s)

found some intresting moss(es) growing on the bank of a stream (close to where i found hydrocotyle) i'm pretty sure there are at least 2 species here.

#1 grew in very thick clumps with very thick "stems" (don't know the appropriate term for moss)

#2 very similar to one, almost definitely the same species... more compact growth, and perhaps slightly smaller "stems"

#3 possibly a similar but no identical species... looks *very* much like java or xmas moss in size, shape, color, anatomy...

#4 almost definitely a totally separate species. it was intermingled with all 3 of the other samples, but never actually "attached", so I seriously doubt that it's just a variant growth of any of the above mosses. in fact, looking closely it looks more like a tiny tiny vascular plant (perhaps the best description is a very tiny micranthemum micranthemoides).

all of these were at least damp, most were wet enough to be "squishy" to the touch. I would love some input on these. I'm pretty sure most/all of the aquatic mosses we grow in our tanks are from SE Asia. Is it possible any of these will grow in my tank? are there any risks to putting them in an established tank if they're well cleaned besides fouling the water if they rot and die? adriansg, if you read this, i'd be interested in your input... if they grow i'd consider sending samples to yourself and the dr. you correspond with on moss identification.

Thanks folks.
Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 04:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I have no clue on the id but as far as putting them in your tank, next water change throw some of the tank water in a large mason jar or spare tank and test water paramaters before and after a week. If the moss still looks good and there are no major changes in the water I would be very tempted to try it. But I like playing with bombs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
3 days in a clear glass vase in the windowsill...
no rotting so far, everything is still perky and green.
if this stuff does work as an aquatic moss, then my worries about waiting for my taiwan moss wall to fill in are over. there's TONS of this stuff a couple hundred yards from the back door of my parents house. (where it was collected, not a separate locale) tons of hydrocotyle, too. I should do a "oqsy's neighborhood " biotope tanks with just those two plants, and some mosquito fish. oh yeah, forgot about the d. diandra and duckweed.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
moss id

Hi I am wondering if you got any id on this moss? I live near the white river In ar and have found some moss there. I put in myh tank and it is growing real well . I am wondering what it is. Looks real simmilar to you photos.
thanks
Ladyblues
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
#3 looks like it might be fissidens fontanus, It grows locally here also.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
They all look like Fissidens species to me... there's a bizillion different species in that genus. #4 might be a liverwort, though.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode