5 gallon Fluval Spec Quesitons??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 gallon Fluval Spec Quesitons???

I had some questions about the new 5 gallon Fluval Spec.

How many actual gallons is it? I calculated the actual gallons of an 8 gallon petco tank and it was only 6 gallons.

How many watts per gallon is the light OR is it a low, medium, or high intensity light?

Can you run the blue and white LEDs at the same time (I've heard you can't......is this kinda a bummer).

Are the replacement filters/sponges expensive or can you get by with just adding some filter floss and a carbon bag in that compartment?

Do folks like this tank? Any problems?

Last edited by duganderson; 08-16-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: add notificaiton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Planted Member

Gallons: Uh, how are you calculating the actual gallons of a tank? Are you doing it by dimensions? Would you include the separate compartments for the filter box & the filter motor in the calculation?

Watts per gallon: Don't know how many watts. Would probably be considered a low intensity light.

LEDs: You cannot run the blue & white LEDs at the same time. There's 3 settings on the light. 1. Blue LEDs on. 2. Everything off. 3. White LEDs on.

Sponges/Filters: I plan to keep using the same sponge for a couple years so I'm not even thinking about the price of a replacement sponge. Although if I were to replace it, I'd probably buy one of those large sponges that are not brand specific and cut to size. It's a pretty large compartment. The sponge it comes with has two hole cut-outs. One for a biomax insert and one for a carbon insert. I took out the carbon insert.

Pros: Nice looking tank. Like the adjustable nozzle for the filter output. Like the profile. Actually looks pretty big for a 5 gallon because the width is relatively narrow. You can squeeze in a thermometer in the filter motor compartment. Comes with a tank lid - tank lid has a notch near the base of the light arm to allow for wires coming out of the tank. Flow is strong. Like the large filter sponge it comes with - comes with a handle so you can easily pull it in and out of the tank.

Cons: Not sure how to clean out the two filter compartments cleanly. I can tell there's residue down there when I do water changes and it's too deep to get with a turkey baster. Filter is kinda hard to jab down in there. Flow is strong - but you can dampen it with several different methods. Not entirely convinced I like how the filtering mechanism on this tank works better than a standard HOB filter. Light droops - you'll need to wedge or bend it to get it stay parallel to the rest of the tank. Light switch is temperamental (seems shoddy). Not sure how I feel about the black, plastic platform on the bottom of the tank.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemminnifener View Post
Gallons: Uh, how are you calculating the actual gallons of a tank? Are you doing it by dimensions? Would you include the separate compartments for the filter box & the filter motor in the calculation?\.
I measured the inside of the tank including the back compartments and calculated total volume (cubic inches) and then converted to gallons.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
I measured the inside of the tank including the back compartments and calculated total volume (cubic inches) and then converted to gallons.
I see. I usually just assume the reported # of gallons is about right or rounded up. If I'm bored tonight, maybe I'll measure the tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I just looked at this tank a few hours ago. I really did not like how the light hung over the tank. The arm that holds the hight fixture is not strong enough to hold it level and it hangs all limp over the tank. Not a good look.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Planted Member

Measured the outside tank dimensions and converted to gallons. Got 5.76 US gallons.

It's not that the arm is too weak to hold the light up, it's more that it's heavy and there's a big of wiggle room in the arm brace so that the arm tilts toward the loose end of the light. They could have accounted for it by not making the metal arm bend at a 90 degree angle.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Algae Grower

It is how you insert the light strip. For a short while, it was sloping downward then figured out how to properly insert to make it straight level.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

Tighten the plastic screw until the light lifts up and levels out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode