Water Cirulation Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Water Cirulation Question

I put an extra filter sponge across the output of my AquaClear 30 on a 10 gal. tank to reduce surface agitation. The water seems to be going straight down the side. I see a bit of movement on the surface of the other end of the tank, but nothing below, in the plants. I know this is a hard question to answer without being there, but what do you think? Will there be enough movement throughout the tank? I think I'll keep the filter on tomorrow when I feed the fish and see where the inevitable lost food goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Surface water ought to show gentle ripples. Less than that usually leads to surface scum and reduced oxygen levels in the lower levels.

Below the surface the plants ought to sway in the water. Less than that suggests there may not be a good circulation of fertilizer, CO2, O2 and so on. The plants cannot move to go find what they need, these things need to come to them.

An AC 30 on a 10 gallon tank is at the higher end of good flow, so a sponge over the outlet might help divert some of the flow, but keep working with it until you have it right for your tank. Perhaps a thinner sponge would allow a more even flow, rather than diverting so much of the flow sideways?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thank You!

Thanks for the help Diana. I appreciate hearing that informationl.. The AC 30 is set on minimum, so I have that I can work with too.Thanks again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode