Planted Tank for Turtle Food? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Tank for Turtle Food?

Hi all. I am a new turtle owner, to be specific, two baby RES turtles. Currently in my turtle tank are floating anacharis for my turtles to snack on freely. I started reading and browsing around the net and stumbled on this among a few websites about the art of water planted gardens. I am not only amazed but never imagined aquariums being used in such a manner before this!

Which leads to my question, do you guys think I would be able to create a 10g planted tank comprised of mostly plants and live feeders that my RES can eat. I would think the tank wouldn't need to completely house only plants nutritious to my turtles, I think some can be just for decorative purposes.

The main plants suggest for Red Eared Sliderís diet are:

Anacharis
Water Lily
Duckweed
Water Hyacinth
Hornwort

Other plants I've read other owners feeding their turtles:

Swords
Parrots Feather
Riccia
Water lettuce
Pennywort

If you guys could, please let me know if this kind of planted aquarium would possibly work. Other inhabitants of the tank would be ruby red ramshorn snails and guppies. Most likely I would like to have some Anacharis in the tank, since my turtles are quite fond of it. If this works, I definitely would try bigger setups in the future. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Well I would suggest a larger tank than a 10 gallon if you have the space. It's much easier to keep a larger tank running stable than it is a smaller tank.

And what kind of budget were you thinking of?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would say that to make something like this work for more than a very short time, you will definitely need to go bigger. I would suggest a 40 breeder as the minimum (36 x 18 x 16). That would probably be okay for a long time, but RES can reach about a foot long. Two of those would require a serious tank.

That being said, I think that with the plants and livestock you mentioned, you could have a very attractive display for them. Would be a lot better than two turtles sitting in a plastic box (which is how I've usually seen turtles kept, unfortunatley).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Hiyas and thanks for the replies. My budget is still in the air, so I don't mind if you give me some figures to work with, maybe a price range of a low main't setup of 10g, 20g, and perhaps even 30g.

I failed to mention, this is completely a seperate tank from my turtle's tank that I am planning to house. My two are barely an 1" 1/2 each and are currently living in a 30g "long" tank, filter, uva/b lighting, etc., the works. This tank I am trying to conjure up will just be nice little display of aquatic plants/guppies/turtle food storage.

I figured if this little project works out, once I upgrade to a 75g-150g for my two turtles, I will use the 30g for the 2nd project, and so forth over the years, as I upgrade tanks. Actually lol, if I like aquatic planting like my many hobbies, I might upgrade planting tanks first.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Also, I would like to add, I decided to go witha 10g for multiple reasons.

- First tank, so small seems easier to plan out and trial and error w/ low tech setups.

- I've seen some nice 10g setups in the gallery section.

- First project, so don't know if its a long term thing, so I guess I want to start out small and gradually grow into the hobby.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
10 is fine, but what they are referring to is that a 10 will not be fine for long. RES's grow pretty fast and will need at least a 20g long within 6 months (probably sooner), and then at least a 40-55g within 2 years. If you can accomodiate the continuous space need for the turtle in the future, then all is fine right now.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar
10 is fine, but what they are referring to is that a 10 will not be fine for long. RES's grow pretty fast and will need at least a 20g long within 6 months (probably sooner), and then at least a 40-55g within 2 years. If you can accomodiate the continuous space need for the turtle in the future, then all is fine right now.
Hehe, again, please read my first response. This is a totally seperate tank I'm thinking of making. The turtles will be in no way, ever, to step into this planted tank. My two turtles are currently in a 30 gallon long-type tank. The tank has adequate filtering, basking area, heater, and uva/b lamp. Probably will add a nice lil driftwood for hiding and hanging purposes in this tank soon. About a year from now, I will upgrade them to atleast 75g-120g tank.

Back to the 10g, this will be for breeding and growing their food. This was my initial plan, then I started reading about these beautiful aquatic gardens and it definitely peaked my interests. I am trying to see if I can have a planted tank housing mostly plants that my turtles can eat, along with red ramshorns and guppies.

Thanks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
oops... skimmed through without seeing that.

I would think raising plants for them would be somewhat pointless though. As their diet should consist of mainly pellets and fish/meat anyway. Maybe Romaine or other chopped up veggies from the grocery store as a veggie choice.

If wanting a planted tank, just pic plants that you like and not focus on the turtles needs. You will enjoy it more that way.

But as for actual plants that you are easy to grow and still good for turtles, not real sure.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes I understand that if I were to go with mostly turtle munchie plants, the tank will probably look dull. I stated the plants most RES like to eat and I don't see those used in most of the tanks I viewed in the gallery. I figured I will plant a little tank and just throw in a few turtle plants here and there, but it's slowly shaping into a bad idea. I can see that if I don't have that restriction, I can be more picky and design the tank layout better.

As far as vegetables go, I can't speak for other breeds of turtles besides, Red Eared Sliders, which slowly age into mostly veggie eaters. It is true their main diet consist of pellets and romaine lettuce, however, most owners breed guppies, snails, crickets, and water plants to toss in their tank on a daily basis as a supplement diet.

Hm, my girlfriend just gave me an acrylic 10g tank I think, maybe I will just use that for the turtle food breeding and go out to buy another glass 10-15g to try this water garden.

Thanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 01:12 AM

Hehe, a seperate tank for plants. That's an idea. I made the mistake of putting some plants (albiet rather inexpensive ones) in my RESs tank just to make it look less... bland i guess is the word. Within minutes they were gone. Granted she's pushing 12 years old, and nearly 8-10" long. We feed her small feeder fish that have been QTed for at least 2 weeks before we give them to her. She also gets a good amount of veggies and pellets.

I think that if your turtles are fans of anachris or elodea, that having a 10gal tank setup with a decent light, you could clip it back every few days (or if theres enough ever day) and toss it in. Like others have mentioned, I think that if you are only feeding from the 10gal that you'll need a larger tank. You could also throw a pair of breeding guppies into the tank and have some supplimental "meatier" foods, although, if you have the space a larger tank would server the purpose more. a 20 long is only 10" longer than the 10, and is my favorite tank for such things, though my brother does his guppy breeding in a 5 gal for his oscars.

I'm curious, and do not mean to be critical at all, but what are your future plans for the turtles? They do get large, and its a case of "the more room the better". We aquired a 75gal tank for free, and upgraded our turtle from her 55 to the 75. She's much happier. Then again, like I said, she's nearly 12 years old. Sounds like you got a good handle on this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Hehe, I think no one is reading all my replies..I keep getting asked the same questions, but it's okay.. When you are sure of yourself, you don't mind answering the questions again.

Yeh the reason I am using a seperate tank to grow my turtle's food, from plants, to guppies, to snails si because, if anyone is a RES owner, they know the appetite of these monsters.

I am currently regenerating Anacharis clips that floated around from their eating frenzy. Its not in any special tank, just a tub of water in my backyard atm. I have ruby red ramshorns coming this week, so I have a small tank to try and breed those. I will pick up some new guppies this week, the ones I had went bubye courtesy of Squirtle and Itty.

I stated in another reply in this post that I will be upgrading to minimum of 75g-150g by next year. I do follow the 10g per inch of turtle shell rule. With the new tank upgrade, I will definitely move to an XP3 or Eheim. Better yet, I think the new canister will come sooner than the actual tank upgrade, since I can use it as I upgrade tanks anyhow. I also follow the 3x the recommended filter vs tank sizing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode